Installing Honda GX160 Trash/Water Pump on Boat

In summary: Overall, it is important to carefully consider the size and placement of the exhaust to ensure optimal performance and safety.
mallo
Good day
I have a Honda GX160 fitted on to a Trash/water pump, I am planning to fit this as an emergency pump on my boat (I know it sounds a bit mad).
I have found the perfect place for it (high up and in the dry) and I plan to bolt it down and pipe it up permanently ready to go.
The only issue I have and would like some advice on is the exhaust from the engine.
I have a dry exhaust from an existing generator which runs fairly close by, my plan was to “tee” into this exhaust with a valve, could this be a problem?
The existing generator exhaust where I want to connect into relatively cold as the generator exhaust gases have cold water mixed with them and then the water is separated from the gas and the gases go down this pipe I want to connect into and the water goes out the bottom of the boat.
I was planning to fit a valve into the leg if the “tee” to stop fumes and moisture going back into the pump.
The next quandary I have is do I take the existing exhaust silencer off and couple the new exhaust straight onto the engine or do I leave the existing silencer on there and couple the exhaust to the existing silencer. I am not too worried how noisy the exhaust is as it will only run in emergencies, what I am more concerned with is that I don’t increase the back pressure too much.
The exhaust for the generator is 1 7/8” bore pipe and is way over sized, I could do the same for the pump however I dint really want to make it bigger than it needs to be, would anyone suggest a suitable size pipe to make the exhaust. The one currently coming out of the engine and going into the silencer is about ¾” to 1”. I have a piece of flexible stainless steel exhaust pipe, its about 1” and I was thinking of using this and then running it into some 1” or 1 1/8” or 1 3/8” or I could go the full hog and do it in 1 7/8” as the main pipe.
This pipe will get hot and I can either insulate for this or space it off anything flammable and fit a guard where necessary.
The rest of the pipe work isn’t a problem, its just this exhaust I would like to pick the experts brains about.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for your question. In this situation, it would be best to use a flexible exhaust pipe that is the same size as the existing pipe coming out of the engine. This will ensure that you don't increase the back pressure too much and will result in a more efficient running engine. As for the exhaust silencer, it is best to leave it on, as this will help to reduce the noise from the engine. Additionally, you should insulate or space off the exhaust pipe from any flammable materials, and fit a guard where necessary.

1. What is the best method for installing a Honda GX160 trash/water pump on a boat?

The best method for installing a Honda GX160 trash/water pump on a boat is to first locate a sturdy and secure area on the boat's deck or hull. The pump should be mounted on a flat surface using bolts or screws that are appropriate for marine use. It is also important to ensure that the pump is level and properly aligned with the boat's waterline to ensure maximum efficiency.

2. Do I need any special tools or equipment for the installation?

Yes, you will need a few basic tools for the installation, including a drill, screwdriver, wrench, and level. You may also need marine-grade bolts or screws, depending on the type of boat and mounting surface. It is always a good idea to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific tools and equipment needed for the installation of your Honda GX160 pump.

3. How do I connect the pump to my boat's water source?

The Honda GX160 pump is designed to be connected directly to a water source, such as a lake or river. You will need to use a suction hose to draw water from the source and connect it to the pump's inlet. It is important to ensure that the suction hose is securely connected and free of any kinks or blockages to prevent any potential damage to the pump.

4. Can the Honda GX160 pump be used for saltwater applications?

Yes, the Honda GX160 pump can be used for both freshwater and saltwater applications. However, it is recommended to flush the pump with freshwater after each use in saltwater to prevent any corrosion or damage to the internal components. Additionally, it is important to use marine-grade materials for all connections and fittings when using the pump in saltwater to ensure longevity and prevent any potential issues.

5. What is the recommended maintenance for the Honda GX160 pump on a boat?

The recommended maintenance for the Honda GX160 pump includes regular inspections for any signs of wear or damage, cleaning and lubrication of moving parts, and replacing any worn or damaged parts as needed. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, which may include oil changes and filter replacements, to ensure the pump's optimal performance and longevity.