How Is Path Length Calculated for Light in an Optical Fiber?

In summary, the given problem involves a glass optical fibre in glycerine with specific refractive indices and dimensions. The task is to find the total path length of a ray within the fibre that enters at the acceptance angle. The solution involves calculating the minimum angle for total internal reflection, the corresponding angle to the axis of the fibre, and the acceptance angle. Using these values and trigonometry, the path length is determined. However, due to multiple reflections within the fibre, the actual path length is longer than the given length of the fibre.
roam

Homework Statement

A glass optical fibre of length L = 3.2 m is in a medium of glycerine with a refractive index n0 = 1.47 . The fibre has a core of refractive index, n1 = 1.58 and diameter, d = 100μm surrounded by a thin cladding of refractive index, n2 = 1.53. The end of the fibre is cut square (see diagram).

[PLAIN]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4976/imagenz.gif

For the aforementioned fibre, what is the total path length of a ray within the fibre that enters the fibre at the acceptance angle?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the stuff that I have already calculated:

* The minimum angle, θ2, for total internal reflection at the core/cladding boundary: 75.5 degrees.

* The angle, θ1, to the axis of the fibre that corresponds to the minimum angle, θ2: 14.5 degrees.

* The acceptance angle θ0: 15.6 degrees.

So, now to find the path length of a ray within the fibre that enters the fibre at the acceptance angle I tried using trigonometry:

Since d=100.0 μm = 100 x 106 m. We have d/2 = 50 x 106.

[tex]sin (14.5) = \frac{50 \times 10^6}{x}[/tex]

x= a very huge number!

But the answer must be 3.305 m! What did I do wrong? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 μm is not 106 m.

ehild

ehild said:
1 μm is not 106 m.

ehild

Oh, I meant 10-6. But why is it that I end up with 1.9 x 10-4? This is not the right answer...

roam said:
Oh, I meant 10-6. But why is it that I end up with 1.9 x 10-4? This is not the right answer...

There are a lot of reflections in that 3.2 m long fibre. The light goes through the whole length of the fibre, but trawels along a zigzag path which is longer than the fibre length. ehild

Last edited:

I would suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure they are correct. It is possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or used the wrong equation. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the path of the light ray and use the law of reflection and Snell's law to accurately determine the path length. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or a textbook to confirm your approach and calculations.

What is the path length of a light ray?

The path length of a light ray refers to the distance that light travels from its source to its destination. This can be measured in units such as meters or kilometers.

How is the path length of a light ray determined?

The path length of a light ray is determined by the distance it travels and any changes in direction it may experience due to reflection or refraction. It can also be calculated using the speed of light and the time it takes for the light to travel.

What factors can affect the path length of a light ray?

The path length of a light ray can be affected by the medium it travels through, as different materials have different refractive indices which can cause the light to bend. The distance between the source and destination can also impact the path length.

Can the path length of a light ray be altered?

Yes, the path length of a light ray can be altered through the use of lenses, mirrors, and other optical devices. These can change the direction of the light, resulting in a longer or shorter path length.

Why is understanding the path length of a light ray important in science?

Understanding the path length of a light ray is important in many scientific fields, such as optics, astronomy, and physics. It allows us to predict and measure the behavior of light, which is essential in various experiments and technological applications.