Flower Pot Falling Past a Window

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the height at which a flower pot was dropped from a dorm window using the equation V_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a(x_f - x_i). However, there are errors in the given equation and the calculation of the final velocity. The correct equation should be V_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2gd, where d is the distance from the top of the window to the ground. Additionally, the final velocity is found by taking the square root of the calculated value, and the distance should be the total distance fallen, not just the distance from the bottom of the window. Overall, there is a need to double check equations and their dimensions in order
quick
As you look out of your dorm window, a flower pot suddenly falls past. The pot is visible for a time t, and the vertical length of your window is L_w. Take down to be the positive direction, so that downward velocities are positive and the acceleration due to gravity is the positive quantity g.

Assume that the flower pot was dropped by someone on the floor above you (rather than thrown downward).

now i need to find the height at which the pot was dropped. I am using the equation V_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2a(x_f - x_i)

i figured out the final velocity to be L_w/t + g*t/2

and the initial velocity is 0 because it is dropped but when i enter that the height is (L_w/t + g*t/2) / 2*g , i get an incorrect answer. then i thought of doing the sqrt(L_w/t + g*t/2) / 2*g and it was still wrong. can someone explain what i am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
quick said:
i figured out the final velocity to be L_w/t + g*t/2
Check this one over.

what is wrong with it? there was a part of the problem where it asks to figure out the final velocity the instant it passes the bottom of the window and that was correct.

Listen to Doc Al. There is something wrong with the equation you gave. Rework the derivation of the equation and you will see why.

Where did the square root come from? Should be squared. Always check your formulas if they are dimensionally correct. Yours are not. Your first one has units of velocity/acceleration, which is Time, not distance. Your second one has units of [itex]\sqrt{v}/a[/itex]. This is certainly not distance either.

i see now, i forgot to square the final velocity
thanks all for your help!

quick said:
and the initial velocity is 0 because it is dropped but when i enter that the height is (L_w/t + g*t/2) / 2*g , i get an incorrect answer. then i thought of doing the sqrt(L_w/t + g*t/2) / 2*g and it was still wrong. can someone explain what i am doing wrong?
Since I found an error in your expression for the final velocity, I didn't look at this part too carefully. As krab explained, always check the dimensions/units of your answer to see if they make sense.

But leaving aside the fact that you have an incorrect expression for the final velocity, you are plugging the wrong thing into the kinematic equation you gave. You need to input the final velocity squared.

Edit: Your expression for final velocity is correct--my mistake.

Last edited:
oops... my bad

quick said:
what is wrong with it? there was a part of the problem where it asks to figure out the final velocity the instant it passes the bottom of the window and that was correct.
Guess what? There was nothing wrong with it. I wasn't paying attention--I thought you were calculating the initial velocity (at the top of the window).

My apologies! :blushing: (Back to sleep for me.)

actually i could use your help for one more part of the problem. it is asking for the final velocity as the pot hits the ground. it introduced a new velocity v_b as the velocity at the instant the pot is at the bottom of the window, thus, i am able to use that velocity v_b as the initial velocity and h_b is the distance from the bottom of the window to the ground.
so v_b is just the final velocity from the last problem : L_w/t + g*t/2

so the velocity when the pot hits the ground should be

v_b^2 + 2*g(h_b) but this was wrong so my distance must be incorrect. i tried putting the total distance the pot has fallen, which would be (L_w/t + g*t/2)^2 / ( 2 * g) + h_b and this was incorrect as well. once again i am overlooking something, any help would be appreciated.

quick said:
actually i could use your help for one more part of the problem. it is asking for the final velocity as the pot hits the ground. it introduced a new velocity v_b as the velocity at the instant the pot is at the bottom of the window, thus, i am able to use that velocity v_b as the initial velocity and h_b is the distance from the bottom of the window to the ground.
so v_b is just the final velocity from the last problem : L_w/t + g*t/2

v_b^2 + 2*g(h_b) but this was wrong so my distance must be incorrect. i tried putting the total distance the pot has fallen, which would be (L_w/t + g*t/2)^2 / ( 2 * g) + h_b and this was incorrect as well. once again i am overlooking something, any help would be appreciated.

did you sqrt the v_b^2 + 2*g(h_b)? since vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad

quick said:

v_b^2 + 2*g(h_b) but this was wrong so my distance must be incorrect.
Since the distance (h_b) was given, we must presume it to be correct. Again, it looks like you forgot that your equation gives the final velocity squared. Take the square root to get the velocity. (As needhelpperson points out.)

Last edited:

What is the concept of a flower pot falling past a window?

The concept of a flower pot falling past a window is a common physics problem that involves understanding the motion of a falling object due to gravity and air resistance.

What factors affect the motion of a flower pot falling past a window?

The motion of a flower pot falling past a window can be affected by several factors, including the initial height of the window, the mass and shape of the flower pot, the force of gravity, and the presence of air resistance.

How does air resistance impact the motion of a flower pot falling past a window?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As the flower pot falls past the window, it experiences air resistance which slows down its downward motion. This force increases as the object's speed increases.

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a falling flower pot past a window?

The velocity of a falling flower pot can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time elapsed. This equation assumes there is no air resistance.

How does the shape and mass of the flower pot affect its motion?

The shape and mass of the flower pot can affect its motion due to air resistance. A larger and more aerodynamic flower pot will experience less air resistance and fall faster than a smaller or less aerodynamic pot. Additionally, a heavier flower pot will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, causing it to fall faster.