Any reason why we shouldn't be subjectively immortal?

• Thread starter Meatbot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, according to the conversation, the subjective experience of never dying will always be present, as there is no alternative to being alive. This may seem encouraging, but others may still witness our physical death. The concept of an afterlife would not be a restart, but rather a continuation of our subjective experience.
Meatbot
1. You can't think if you're dead.
2. Therefore you'll never think you're dead (and be right about it)
3. Therefore the subjective experience we will all have is that we never die. ("afterlife" is not death, just more life)

As time goes on, we will always find that we're still alive - because there's no alternative. That seems encouraging to me. Am I missing anything?

Of course other people might see us die and we might actually die, but the subjective is the only thing that matters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any reason why our/my subjective experience should be repeated? Would it still be 'me'?

GeorgCantor said:
Any reason why our/my subjective experience should be repeated? Would it still be 'me'?

What ? You're going to never die twice ?

GeorgCantor said:

What do you mean about it being repeated? Maybe you mean afterlife? I don't think there is one but even if there was it wouldn't be a restart. It would be a continuation subjectively.

I understand the desire for subjective immortality. It is a natural human instinct to want to live forever and avoid the fear of death. However, from a scientific perspective, there are a few reasons why subjective immortality may not be feasible or desirable.

Firstly, the concept of subjective immortality goes against the natural cycle of life and death. Death is a necessary part of the ecosystem, allowing for new generations to thrive and maintain balance in the environment. If we were all subjectively immortal, this natural balance would be disrupted, potentially leading to overpopulation and depletion of resources.

Secondly, from a neurological standpoint, the brain is not designed to function indefinitely. Our brains undergo natural aging processes that can lead to cognitive decline and ultimately, death. While advancements in medicine and technology may prolong our lifespan, it is unlikely that we will be able to achieve subjective immortality without fundamentally altering the human brain and its processes.

Additionally, the idea of subjective immortality raises ethical concerns. If only a select few were able to achieve it, it could create a significant divide in society and lead to issues of inequality and injustice. Furthermore, the fear of death is what drives humans to make the most out of their lives and strive for progress. Without the concept of death, would we still have the same motivation to achieve and innovate?

In conclusion, while the idea of subjective immortality may seem appealing, it is not a feasible or desirable goal from a scientific standpoint. Death is a natural part of life and serves an important purpose in maintaining balance in the world. It is important to focus on making the most out of our limited time on Earth rather than striving for an unattainable and potentially detrimental goal of subjective immortality.

1. "What is subjective immortality?"

Subjective immortality refers to the idea that an individual's consciousness or subjective experience continues indefinitely, even after the physical body has ceased to function.

2. "Is subjective immortality possible?"

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the concept of subjective immortality. While some theories and speculations exist, the concept remains unproven and highly debated among scientists.

3. "What are the potential benefits of subjective immortality?"

The idea of subjective immortality raises questions about the nature of consciousness and what happens after death. It could also potentially eliminate the fear of death and allow individuals to continue experiencing life indefinitely.

4. "Are there any ethical concerns with subjective immortality?"

The concept of subjective immortality raises ethical concerns about overpopulation, resource depletion, and the potential for a stagnant society if individuals never die. It also brings up questions about the value and purpose of life.

5. "What are the major challenges to achieving subjective immortality?"

Currently, the biggest challenge to achieving subjective immortality is the lack of scientific understanding and evidence. Additionally, the concept raises philosophical and ethical questions that must be addressed before any attempts at achieving subjective immortality can be made.