Proving Subspace of Continuous Functions with Integral = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that functions that are continuous over [0,1] and have an integral over the same interval equal to 0 form a subspace of the function space of continuous functions over [0,1]. The person asks if it is acceptable to state that if f and g are continuous, then f+g and rf are also continuous, and the other person confirms that this is true and relevant to the problem. The main focus is on the linearity properties of the integral.
theFuture
So for my LA class I am to prove that all functions f such that they are contiunous over the [0,1] and their integral over the same integral = 0 is a subspace of the function space of continuous functions over [0,1]. So I think my proof is fine but I have one semi-technical question. Is it ok just to state:

"if f, g are continuous over [0,1] f+g must also be by a theorem of calculus and if f is continuous rf must also be by a theorem of calculus."

I'm leaning towards no but I'm not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, both of those statements are true. If both f and g are continuous at x= a, then [itex]lim_{x->a}f(x)= f(a)[/itex] and [itex] lim_{x->a}g(x)= g(a)[/itex]. It follows then that [itex]lim_{x->a}{f(x)+ g(x)}= f(a)+g(a)[/itex] so that f+ g is continuous wherever f and g are.
Similarly, [itex]lim_{x->a}rf(x)= r lim_{x->a}f(x)= rf(a)[/itex] so that rf is continuous wherever f is.

i think he was asking if it was ok to assume those things in a linear algebra class which assumes a calculus course and i say yes.

those things are not really relevant to the problem however, but only background needed to show the problem is well posed. the essential poiint is the linearity properties of the integral.

What is a function space?

A function space is a collection of mathematical functions that share certain properties or characteristics. It can also refer to the set of all possible outputs of a given mathematical function.

Why are function spaces important?

Function spaces are important because they allow us to study the properties of functions in a more general and abstract way. They also provide a framework for analyzing and solving problems in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and functional analysis.

How are function spaces defined?

Function spaces can be defined in a variety of ways, depending on the specific context and application. In general, they are defined by a set of functions and a set of operations or properties that these functions must satisfy. For example, a function space may be defined as the set of all continuous functions on a given interval.

What is the difference between a function space and a vector space?

A function space is a specific type of vector space, where the elements are functions rather than traditional vectors. Function spaces also typically have additional properties or operations, such as function composition or differentiation, that are not present in general vector spaces.

How are function spaces used in scientific research?

Function spaces are used extensively in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are often used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the behavior of physical systems or the performance of algorithms. Function spaces also play a key role in developing and testing new mathematical theories and methods.