Amateur mathematicians versus professional mathematicians

In summary: If you're interested in mathematics for its own sake and don't care about money, then pursuing a degree in mathematics may be the best option for you.
scottbekerham
Is it better for some one interested in mathematics to be an amateur mathematician and pursue a degree that can help him earning more money like medicine . Mathematicians do not earn much money . right ? Fermat for example was a lawyer and an amateur mathematician , yet he contributed a lot to the field.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to contribute original ideas, you pretty much have to get at least a masters.

G037H3 said:
If you want to contribute original ideas, you pretty much have to get at least a masters.
If he wants to deal with math as a hobby he doesn't need even a Bsc.
Having any degree doesn't guarantee you'll contribute original ideas, but having original ideas might entail having a degree.

G037H3 said:

Math is purely theoretical , there are no experiments in it . If some one is smart enough and really interested in mathematics , he can study it on his own and seek a degree that enables him to earn much money .For example , Docs earn much more than most mathematicans at least in my country . I'm interested in both medicine and math , so I was thinking I can be a doctor and yet take math as a hobby

MathematicalPhysicist said:
If he wants to deal with math as a hobby he doesn't need even a Bsc.
Having any degree doesn't guarantee you'll contribute original ideas, but having original ideas might entail having a degree.

You are right .few of math majors contribute to original ideas yet they are all interested in math

scottbekerham said:
If some one is smart enough and really interested in mathematics , he can study it on his own and seek a degree that enables him to earn much money

Well, 'if someone is smart enough' is quite a qualifier - and it isn't just about smarts, it's about commitment and motivation too. The point is that for almost everyone, if you want to contribute an original idea, you will need to spend years understanding the pretext (which is part of the plan from an undergraduate degree).

scottbekerham said:
Mathematicians do not earn much money . right ?

No, not necessarily correct - you're being too general. Do you mean academic mathematicians? What do you consider 'much money' to be?

An undergraduate degree in mathematics would allow you to study mathematics to a good level, and then if all you were concerned about was money, you can head over into finance or something like that. Mathematics gives you hundreds of options for careers. Become an actuary or an analyst; you'll still be using maths and you can make a lot of money.

scottbekerham said:
Fermat for example was a lawyer and an amateur mathematician , yet he contributed a lot to the field.

This isn't a good example to use. "So I'll just be like Fermat" is easier said than done.

scottbekerham said:
Math is purely theoretical , there are no experiments in it

This also is completely incorrect. Applied mathematicians might not be involved in actually carrying experiments out, but they can certainly be involved in the process of design and are heavily involved with the data that comes out of it. Consider someone that models traffic data. They might develop a model, notice something key is missing from the data then feed that back to the experimental design.

scottbekerham said:
If some one is smart enough and really interested in mathematics , he can study it on his own

Again, that isn't true for everyone. I know I wouldn't have managed through all of the material I covered at undergraduate without the support of my institution (and especially not in the same amount of time).

scottbekerham said:
I'm interested in both medicine and math , so I was thinking I can be a doctor and yet take math as a hobby

You could look at mathematical biology. Sure, you won't make as much money as you would if you became a medical doctor, but it depends where your priorities lie.

Question 1: What is the main difference between amateur mathematicians and professional mathematicians?

The main difference between amateur mathematicians and professional mathematicians is their level of education and experience. Professional mathematicians have typically received advanced degrees in mathematics and have years of experience working in the field, while amateur mathematicians may have a strong interest in the subject but lack formal training and experience.

Question 2: Can amateur mathematicians contribute to the field of mathematics?

Yes, amateur mathematicians can certainly contribute to the field of mathematics. Many famous mathematicians, such as Pierre de Fermat and Srinivasa Ramanujan, were self-taught or had no formal training in mathematics. Amateur mathematicians can make valuable contributions through their unique perspectives and ideas.

Question 3: What opportunities are available for amateur mathematicians?

There are various opportunities available for amateur mathematicians, such as participating in online forums and communities, attending conferences and workshops, and submitting papers to journals. Some universities also offer programs and resources for amateur mathematicians to further their knowledge and skills.

Question 4: Do amateur mathematicians use the same methods and techniques as professional mathematicians?

While there may be overlap, amateur mathematicians and professional mathematicians may not always use the same methods and techniques. Professional mathematicians often have access to more advanced tools and resources, and their training and experience may lead them to approach problems differently. However, both amateur and professional mathematicians use logic and critical thinking to solve mathematical problems.

Question 5: Can amateur mathematicians become professional mathematicians?

Yes, it is possible for amateur mathematicians to become professional mathematicians. With dedication and hard work, an amateur mathematician can gain the necessary education and experience to pursue a career in mathematics. Many universities also offer graduate programs for students with non-mathematics backgrounds to transition into the field of mathematics.