Modifying Human DNA: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter chound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna Human
In summary: There seems to be a lot of potential for making humans stronger, but there are a lot of risks as well.
chound
Is it possible to modify human dna to get more sturdier humans?

Biology news on Phys.org
Depends what you mean by sturdy. If you delete the myostatin gene, you'll get extremely muscular.. look at this bull http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/195bbpic.jpg

But it's an unhealthy condition since muscle growth is not properly controlled anymore in the body. Recently a boy was indentified with the condition http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5278028/

Some bacterium have around 1 million rads, (I know this sound crazy but) so if we include that gene in our dna can we become more resistant to nuclear warfare?

Smone one please answer

That is resistant to up to 1000 rads, i think i answered this,
on this particular case i think it is impossible to include the DNA of that bacteria. Thats because they use a completely different system than humans do, see things like horses and gorillas may be possible as they are based around the same system.
So with this type of bacteria no, but yes i guess you could make them more sturdier, but a lot of people would die in the testing before it ever worked i think. We don't know enough at the moment, it isn't as simple as grabbing a segment from here and inserting it here.

Um, sometimes it sort of is. ANd it shocks people all the time. And while it is true that the Bacterial DNA decoding system is different to eukaryotic system, it is still the same code, you just need to put the right precursors in and promotors, and take care of any possible splicing issues, make sure we have the right protein folding tools so that the final protein product takes the correct form, and it should work out.

chound said:
Is it possible to modify human dna to get more sturdier humans?

Certainly. That's the whole deal with evolution. Question is...sturdier in relation to what?

1. Can human DNA be modified?

Yes, human DNA can be modified through various techniques such as gene editing, gene therapy, and genetic engineering.

2. What is gene editing and how does it work?

Gene editing is a technique that allows scientists to make precise changes to the DNA sequence of an organism. This is typically done using engineered proteins, such as CRISPR-Cas9, which can cut and modify specific sections of DNA.

3. What are the potential benefits of modifying human DNA?

The potential benefits of modifying human DNA include the ability to treat and even cure genetic diseases, improve overall health and well-being, and potentially enhance certain traits or abilities.

4. Are there any potential risks or ethical concerns associated with modifying human DNA?

Yes, there are potential risks and ethical concerns with modifying human DNA. These include unintended consequences, such as off-target mutations, and the potential for creating unequal access to genetic enhancements.

5. Is modifying human DNA legal?

The legality of modifying human DNA varies by country. In some places, there are strict regulations and guidelines in place, while in others it may be completely banned. It is important for scientists to adhere to ethical and legal standards when conducting research on human DNA modification.