High-voltage low-amperage current through the human body

In summary: But if you touch a battery that has been running in a car, you may feel a shock because your skin has become wet and the current is now able to flow more easily.
fawk3s
I=V/R, so the amperage is determined by the voltage and the resistance of the human body, right?
But yet it is possible to have a high voltage but low amperage current go through you, say you grabbing 2 electrodes which have the a high voltage between them. How come the amperage is low and doesn't kill you, but the higher the voltage the more it hurts?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
fawk3s said:
I=V/R, so the amperage is determined by the voltage and the resistance of the human body, right?
But yet it is possible to have a high voltage but low amperage current go through you, say you grabbing 2 electrodes which have the a high voltage between them. How come the amperage is low and doesn't kill you, but the higher the voltage the more it hurts?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

The dry epidermis (outer layer of your skin) has relatively high resistance, so that will help to limit the current.

If your hands are sweaty, or if you use electrodes with good coatings (or abrade the epidermis), that gives you lower resistance access to the core of the body, and the core of the body has much lower resistance than the dry epidermis.

Careful when you try this experiment... High-voltage fairly-low current is what is produced by the AED devices used to kick-start arrhythmic hearts...

I think very-low current limiting would be in order, but I don't offhand know what the limit should be. Very low currents may just conduct through your skin and not penetrate the body -- especially if you do not break the skin with the electrodes. Electrical currents probably cause neurons to fire making for pain response, again offhand I'm not sure of the mechanism. They can also create heat leading to burns.

I can think of a few ways of setting up the circuit where a relatively high voltage would create a low amperage inside your body. But is high voltage necessary for getting killed? Or is there a way a fairly low voltage can cause a high enough amperage to kill you, without your skin being abraded?

Lets be a little careful discussing this, folks. Remember the issue with discussing dangerous activities on the PF...

Oh no, I aint thinking of trying it out. I am just curious if its possible.

The wiki "Electric Shock" page is illuminating... It says without body penetration 1ma can be felt and 100ma is considered very dangerous. Then this:
If an electrical circuit is established by electrodes introduced in the body, bypassing the skin, then the potential for lethality is much higher if a circuit though the heart is established. This is known as a microshock. Currents of only 10 µA can be sufficient to cause fibrillation in this case.

and OSHA has a nice summary...who would expect that from a govt agency?

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
R is a variable, ranging from a very low value (you are mostly a bag of salt water) to a high Megaohm value (dry skin). A high enough voltage can carbonize a path through the skin, leading to an overall low resistance. Enough current through body parts such as the heart or brain can kill you - only a handful of milliamps are enough... There are also current thresholds, the values I don't recall, which make it impossible to 'let go' of a live wire... Obviously, the higher the voltage, the easier it is to get to the dangerous current levels..

schip666! said:
The wiki "Electric Shock" page is illuminating... It says without body penetration 1ma can be felt and 100ma is considered very dangerous. Then this:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/eleccurrent.html"

Under "Other factors that may affect the severity of the shock" is the voltage of the current.
I still fail to fully comprehend why that is. Amps are what do the damage (as they are under the primary causes of shock on that page aswell) and voltage with resistance are only what determine the amps. So why is "the voltage of the current" brought out separatedly when the only thing it does is determine the amps, which actually do the damage?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

fawk3s said:
So why is "the voltage of the current" brought out separatedly when the only thing it does is determine the amps, which actually do the damage?
fawk3s

I think you've got the idea. Higher voltage means higher current through the same resistance. So one needs to be more careful around higher-voltages. You can grab both terminals of a 12v car battery and probably not feel anything because of the high resistance of your fairly-dry skin.

schip666! said:

Great info, thanks schip. I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now. The safety warnings in the links above are a good way to end this thread.

What is high-voltage low-amperage current?

High-voltage low-amperage current refers to an electrical current that has a high voltage but a low amperage. This means that the electrical force of the current is strong, but the amount of electrical charge passing through a given point is relatively small.

How does high-voltage low-amperage current affect the human body?

High-voltage low-amperage current can cause a variety of effects on the human body, depending on the duration and intensity of the exposure. These effects can range from mild tingling or muscle contractions to burns, nerve damage, and even cardiac arrest.

What are the potential risks of being exposed to high-voltage low-amperage current?

The main risk of exposure to high-voltage low-amperage current is electrical shock, which can lead to serious injury or death. There is also a risk of burns and nerve damage, as well as the potential for long-term effects such as cardiac arrhythmias and neurological disorders.

What safety measures should be taken when working with high-voltage low-amperage current?

When working with high-voltage low-amperage current, it is important to follow all safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment. This may include insulating gloves, boots, and mats, as well as grounding devices and circuit breakers. Additionally, proper training and supervision are crucial to minimize the risk of accidents.

Can high-voltage low-amperage current be lethal?

Yes, high-voltage low-amperage current can be lethal if the exposure is prolonged or if the current passes through vital organs such as the heart. Any exposure to high-voltage low-amperage current should be taken seriously and immediate medical attention should be sought in the event of an accident.