Solving Physical Pendulum Homework Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving an equation using integration and dealing with the variable theta. One person suggests using a different method involving the distance of the center of mass and torque, which leads to an equation for angular SHM and a resulting formula for the period of the pendulum.
shyta

Homework Statement

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pendp.html#c2

i'm trying to prove
pendp4.gif
to be
pendp6.gif

Homework Equations

Letting d = Lcm
now we already know [tex]\partial^2\vartheta[/tex]/[tex]\partial t^2[/tex] = [tex]\alpha[/tex] = mgdT[tex]\vartheta[/tex] / I

I tried integrating the whole equation wrt dt

so [tex]\partial\vartheta[/tex]/[tex]\partial t[/tex] = [tex]\int mgd\vartheta/ I dt[/tex] (with limits 0->T) = mgd[tex] \vartheta[/tex]/ I

I only need help with this step. How do I deal with the [tex]\vartheta[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a better method-

Let l be the distance of COM from the axis of rotation. For the equilibrium, the COM should be vertically below the axis.
Now let us rotate the body through an angle θ. The torque of forces acting on the body about the axis is τ= -mglsinθ (The only force is due to its weight).
τ = Iα and for small angles sinθ is app. θ
so α = -mglθ/I
Comparing it with the equation of angular SHM,
α = -ω²θ,
T = 2π/ω = 2π(I/mgl)^0.5

What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

What is the equation for a physical pendulum?

The equation for a physical pendulum is T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you solve for the period of a physical pendulum?

To solve for the period of a physical pendulum, you need to know the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, plug those values into the equation T = 2π√(l/g) and solve for T.

What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by any external forces or friction acting on the pendulum.

How can you use a physical pendulum to measure the acceleration due to gravity?

By measuring the period and length of a physical pendulum, you can use the equation T = 2π√(l/g) to solve for g. This can be used as a simple method to approximate the acceleration due to gravity in a specific location.