General Relativity Effective Potentials

In summary, the conversation discusses two different effective potentials, V = (L^2)/(2r^2) - (r^2)/(2R^2) - (L^2)/(R^2) and V = (-1/2) + (L^2)/(2r^2) -(L^2)/(R^2), and whether they have stable orbits and if particles can reach r = 0. It is mentioned that the force in these potentials is determined by F = -\nabla V or F = -\partial_r V, and the requirement for a stable orbit is that the force is zero, F = 0. The conversation also touches on the difference between relativistic and Newtonian
Auburnman
I am having some trouble interpreting different eff ective potentials

The first potential is V = (L^2)/(2r^2) - (r^2)/(2R^2) - (L^2)/(R^2)
The second potential is V = (-1/2) + (L^2)/(2r^2) -(L^2)/(R^2)

What I am having a hard time identifying do these potentials have stable orbits?
And are particles attracted to r = 0? And can particles reach r = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the force follows from the potential through

[tex]F = -\nabla V[/tex]

or in your 1D case [tex]F = -\partial_r V[/tex].

The requirement for a stable orbit is that the force is zero, [itex]F = 0[/itex]

Now apply this to your potentials.

...dude this is general relativity get out of here with your Forces lol, that's Newtonian physics your talking about

Try writing the Lagrangian for a particle and solving the equations of motion. The general Lagrangian is just L =( kinetic energy - potential energy) so no problem there.

[I see now that this is what xepma has already done]

Last edited:
Auburnman said:
...dude this is general relativity get out of here with your Forces lol, that's Newtonian physics your talking about

That's a very nice attitude you got there. But my description still applies.

The difference between relativistic and Newtonian gravition would only result in a different effective potential. The principle of a stable orbit does not change.

xepma said:
The difference between relativistic and Newtonian gravition would only result in a different effective potential. The principle of a stable orbit does not change.

I agree, but, for a stable circular orbit, I think that another condition has to added to dV/dr = 0, i.e., whether locally the potential is a "hill" or a "valley".

What is General Relativity Effective Potential?

General Relativity Effective Potential is a mathematical expression used in general relativity to describe the motion of particles in a gravitational field. It takes into account the effects of both gravity and the curvature of space-time.

How is General Relativity Effective Potential calculated?

The General Relativity Effective Potential is calculated using the Schwarzschild metric, which is a solution to Einstein's field equations. It includes various terms that account for the effects of gravity, mass, and the curvature of space-time.

What is the significance of the General Relativity Effective Potential?

The General Relativity Effective Potential is significant because it allows us to accurately predict the motion of particles in a gravitational field, taking into account the effects of both gravity and the curvature of space-time. It is a crucial component of general relativity and has been used to successfully explain various phenomena, such as the precession of Mercury's orbit.

How does General Relativity Effective Potential differ from Newton's Law of Gravity?

General Relativity Effective Potential differs from Newton's Law of Gravity in that it takes into account the effects of the curvature of space-time, while Newton's law only considers the force of gravity between two objects. This means that General Relativity Effective Potential can make more accurate predictions in extreme environments, such as near black holes.

Can General Relativity Effective Potential be tested or observed?

Yes, General Relativity Effective Potential has been tested and observed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects and the gravitational time dilation of atomic clocks. These observations have confirmed the predictions made by general relativity and the use of effective potential in understanding gravity.