Mechanical or Mechatronical enginering?

• Thread starter digitman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the speaker suggests that at the current time, a degree in mechanical engineering may be more beneficial for employment prospects compared to mechatronics. However, they predict that in the future, the demand for multi-skilled engineers in the growing field of robotics may make a degree in mechatronics more desirable. They also recommend pursuing a mechatronics degree followed by a specialization in either electrical/software or mechanics. Additionally, the speaker mentions the niche market for programming languages taught in the robotics and automation module.
digitman
Which is better in terms of employment prospects, etc?

Engineering news on Phys.org
At the current point in time, I'd say mechanical. Most employers don't even know what mechatronics is, and are hesitant to employ someone with such a degree. (See even the spell check here doesn't recognize it as a word)

HOWEVER, this might completely change in the next few years because with a lot of mechanical/electrical and software systems coming together in the growing field of robotics, people will probably look for multi-skilled engineers, and therefore mechatronics ones.

The best thing (although itl'l take a few more years) is to do a mechatronics degree, and THEN do either an electrical/software or mechanics degree after that. Because mechatronics 1,2,3 years cover similar subjects to all of these degrees you should get a lot of exemptions that reduce the length of the second degree to only 2-3 years.

I'm currently doing a Mech Eng degree, I have Mechatronics as a module choice. I'd say go with the Mechanical as it has given me a broader insight to the different topics of engineering. If you have the choice later on to do Mechatronics go with that.

I also do robotics and automation module, which teaches me the IEC 61131-3 programming languages which apparently are a very niche market in industry at the moment. Thought I' add that in as you seem to have an interest in the software side of things.

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, development, and production of mechanical systems. This can include anything from small individual components to large structures and machinery.

What is mechatronic engineering?

Mechatronic engineering is a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. It deals with the design and development of smart systems that integrate mechanical components with sensors, actuators, and control systems.

What skills are required to become a mechanical or mechatronic engineer?

To become a mechanical or mechatronic engineer, one must have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages is also important.

What are some common applications of mechanical and mechatronic engineering?

Mechanical and mechatronic engineering are used in a wide range of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, robotics, and consumer electronics. Some common applications include designing and developing vehicles, machines, and consumer products.

What is the difference between mechanical and mechatronic engineering?

The main difference between mechanical and mechatronic engineering is that mechanical engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems, while mechatronic engineering integrates mechanical systems with electronics and computer control. Mechatronic engineering is a more interdisciplinary field, combining elements of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering.