Masters of engineering physics and employability

In summary, the conversation revolves around the employability of a masters in engineering physics, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is mentioned that the switch from physics to engineering may require some backtracking, but it is possible. It is also noted that the job prospects for a doctorate in particle physics may be limited, but there are opportunities in other cutting edge areas such as nano technology. Overall, the employability of a masters in engineering physics depends on the specific job and field one is pursuing.
kamelot
I'm currently working on my bachelors in engineering physics and mathematics. I plan on getting a doctorate in particle physics but decided to get a masters in something engineering related that won't take me too far off the path physics. That way, I can make sure I get employed after I graduate as I wait for an opening as a Physics professor in Oklahoma.

quick questions:
1. Is a masters in engineering physics highly employable?
2. If it is highly employable, is it also highly employable in the research sector?
3. Is engineering physics still highly employable if you emphasize in particle physics?
4. If it is not highly employable while emphasizing in particle physics, then emphasizing in what area of physics makes it highly employable?
5. If a masters in engineering physics is not highly employable, then a masters in what field of engineering is highly employable that doesn't go too far off the path of something physics based (if any >.<)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to basically all of your questions is "It depends on what kind of job you want." You need to be more specific. There are jobs and fields in which EP is a good degree to have, and others that it's not. If you want to be an engineer, you should get an engineering degree.

To be a bit blunt, a sidetrack into engineering is not going to be as easy as you think. With the possible exception of electrical engineering, a good amount of backtracking will also required. You might think that aerospace, civil, and mechanical engineering require a good amount of physics and mathematics. They certainly do. However, all of that quantum physics you are doing in your upper undergrad courses are pretty much irrelevant to those fields.

That said, the switch from physics to engineering can be made. My degree is in applied & engineering physics but I have been working as an aerospace engineer (and as a systems engineer and a software engineer) for the last thirty years.

fss said:
The answer to basically all of your questions is "It depends on what kind of job you want." You need to be more specific. There are jobs and fields in which EP is a good degree to have, and others that it's not. If you want to be an engineer, you should get an engineering degree.

Just as long as I can do something science related as I wait for an opening as a Physics professor in Oklahoma, then I don't mind (remember, I said that I'm still going to get a doctorate in particle physics). However, as I wait for an opening as a professor, I would prefer to do research in nano tech or other cutting edge areas.

kamelot said:
Just as long as I can do something science related as I wait for an opening as a Physics professor in Oklahoma, then I don't mind (remember, I said that I'm still going to get a doctorate in particle physics).

Getting a doctorate degree in High Energy Physics does not guarantee you a faculty position. The disparity between number of graduates and number of faculty positions is depressingly large.

However, as I wait for an opening as a professor, I would prefer to do research in nano tech or other cutting edge areas.

Is this before or after you finish your doctorate?

What is Masters of Engineering Physics?

Masters of Engineering Physics is an advanced degree program that focuses on the intersection of physics and engineering. It combines the theories and principles of physics with the practical application of engineering to solve complex problems and develop innovative technologies.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of Masters of Engineering Physics?

Graduates of Masters of Engineering Physics have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, electronics, and telecommunications. They can work as research scientists, engineers, project managers, consultants, and more.

How does a Masters in Engineering Physics enhance employability?

A Masters degree in Engineering Physics enhances employability by providing a combination of technical skills and knowledge in both physics and engineering. This makes graduates highly versatile and adaptable to various job roles and industries. The program also emphasizes critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills, which are highly valued by employers.

What skills do students develop in a Masters in Engineering Physics?

Students in a Masters in Engineering Physics program develop a range of skills, including advanced mathematical and scientific skills, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, technical writing and communication skills, and project management skills. They also gain hands-on experience in laboratory work and research projects, as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively.

Is a Masters in Engineering Physics a good choice for someone interested in both physics and engineering?

Yes, a Masters in Engineering Physics is an excellent choice for someone interested in both physics and engineering. This program allows students to explore and combine their interests in both fields, providing a unique and valuable skill set. It also opens up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, making it a highly versatile and rewarding choice.