Civil vs Mechanical Engineering: Seeking Professional Advice

In summary, most mechanical engineers work in cities where the infrastructure is constantly being upgraded. It largely depends upon where you live.
scytherz
Hi! I'm currently a 2nd Year Civil engineering student, and I wrote this topic for I am seeking a professional advice, actually I have doubts whether should I stay in my current course or to shift in mechanical engineering, and lately I find my course a bit boring and uninteresting (is Mechanical Engineering an interesting course?) and some say Mechanical engineering has more employment prospects than Civil engineering(Is this true?) and does Mechanical Engineering subjects are interesting? what works/jobs that are waiting for mechanical engineer after he graduates, and perhaps which of those two has more travel opportunity, and (this may be rude) the average salary of a mechanical engineer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I study mechanical engineering and it's meh ... but that's just university engineering. We do occasionally get to do some interesting projects where at the end something is actually constructed, and (hopefully) works. But at university they just seem far more interested in getting you to memorise tonnes of equations than getting you to design and build things.

i have some problem in structural engineering too.. can you guide me?

If I may (well, even if I may not :biggrin:), I'm going to express an opinion as a non-educated person. It has always appeared to me that mechanical is the basis for most engineering other than electrical or chemical. Career-wise, though, I believe that it largely depends upon where you live. In a lot of crowded areas, such as parts of Asia, civil might be better because the infrastructure must continuously be upgraded. A coastal location might be more amenable to marine architects. The bottom line, though, is to experiment with stuff until you find something that feels right to you and you enjoy doing.
Who knows, pal... you might end up wanting to be a pharmacist instead. You have to do what's right for you.

Hell yeah! Thanks for the advices! Yes right now I am having a extensive research on the field of mechanical engineering, the things they usually do, etc... @ Danger, yes you make sense...

Just a follow up question, I want to know the PROS and CONS of being a mechanical engineer or taking up Mechanical engineering..

scytherz said:
Just a follow up question, I want to know the PROS and CONS of being a mechanical engineer or taking up Mechanical engineering..

That's way out of my league; as mentioned previously, I never graduated High School. Someone in the field will have to answer. You do, however, have my hopes for success and happiness in whatever you decide upon.

hi! goodday! I am new here at physicsforum. I am computer engineerng student,and i would like to ask if there someone knows about the rpm and the power of nissan wiper motor.kindly if there's someone knew about it please help me. thanks!

1. What is the main difference between civil and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering focuses on the design and construction of structures and infrastructure such as buildings, roads, bridges, and dams. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of mechanical systems, such as machines and tools.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both civil and mechanical engineering offer good job prospects. Civil engineers are in high demand for infrastructure development projects, while mechanical engineers are needed in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, and aerospace.

3. Which field has a higher salary potential?

Salaries for both civil and mechanical engineers can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience. Generally, mechanical engineers tend to have a slightly higher average salary.

4. Can someone with a degree in one field work in the other?

While a degree in one field does not necessarily disqualify someone from working in the other field, it may require additional training or education. For example, a civil engineer may need to learn more about mechanical systems to work as a mechanical engineer.

5. Which field is more suitable for someone who enjoys hands-on work?

Both civil and mechanical engineering involve hands-on work, but mechanical engineering may have more opportunities for hands-on design and development of mechanical systems. Civil engineering may involve more hands-on work during construction and inspection of structures.