Solve Schrödinger Equation: Need Help

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a quantum mechanics question involving the Schrödinger equation and concepts of operators, eigenfunctions, and eigenvalues. The student is not familiar with the mathematical components and is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem and is encouraged to review their references for assistance.
schnuffi

Homework Statement

Hi, I've just started this new course about quantum mechanics and it begins, among others, with this question:

[PLAIN]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2962/unbenanntfwg.jpg

I'm really at a loss how to approach this one. Can anyone please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do you know? How familiar are you with the Schrödinger equation, and the concepts of operators, eigenfunctions, and eigenvalues?

Thanks for trying to help :D
I know the definitions of those terms that you have mentioned; but, I am not familiar with their mathematical components enough to use them to tackle the problem freely.

You've got to make an effort here if you want us to help you, schnuffi.

Suppose this were a problem on an exam. How would you start? Go back to your references (textbook, notes, etc.) and look things up, if you have to.

Hello, I understand that starting a new course on quantum mechanics can be overwhelming and the Schrödinger Equation can seem daunting at first. However, don't worry, with some practice and understanding of the concepts, you will be able to solve it. The Schrödinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the wave function of a particle. To solve it, you will need to understand the mathematical concepts of operators, eigenvalues, and eigenfunctions. I suggest reviewing your course materials and practicing with some simpler examples first. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or classmates for help. With persistence and effort, I'm sure you will be able to solve the Schrödinger Equation successfully. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the Schrödinger Equation and why is it important in science?

The Schrödinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system changes over time. It is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How do you solve the Schrödinger Equation?

Solving the Schrödinger Equation involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, eigenvalue equations, and integration. Depending on the complexity of the system, it can be solved analytically or numerically using computer programs.

3. What are the applications of the Schrödinger Equation?

The Schrödinger Equation has a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to study the behavior of particles in different potential energy landscapes and to understand the properties of atoms, molecules, and materials.

4. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger Equation?

While the Schrödinger Equation is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, it has its limitations. It cannot accurately predict the behavior of particles at high energies or in extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong magnetic fields or at very small length scales.

5. How can I get help with solving the Schrödinger Equation?

If you need help with solving the Schrödinger Equation, you can consult with a physics or mathematics tutor, join online forums and discussion groups, or seek guidance from professors or researchers in the field. There are also many resources available online, such as textbooks, lecture notes, and video tutorials, that can assist you in understanding and solving the equation.