What is the summation formula?

In summary: The integrand is written only with a lower limit. This means that the integrand applies from that lower limit to infinity.
bomba923
What would be the sum formula for the summation in the attachment?

For any real constant 'c', what is the sum formula for

k
sigma (n^c) ?
n=1

Attachments

• What is the sum formula.txt
    19.7 KB · Views: 241
Physics news on Phys.org
oh sorry! :frown: the file needs mathtype to view...sorry!

This file is GIF image format--should be easier to open i hope
I attached the equation as a GIF image file...i hope it can be open...the GIF file that i attached (the equation is a GIF image file...yeah) (whtisthsum.gif)

(*Note: this is not really a power series--the exponent 'c' is a constant! does not change!...so the sum really goes like
1+(2^c)+(3^c)+(4^c)+(5^c)+(6^c)+...+(k^c)

The exponent c does not change...it is the same for every term of the equation as u add them up...(2^c) and so on to (k^c)..the c exponent does not change, so it's not really a power series)

Attachments

• whtisthsum.gif
    whtisthsum.gif
    548 bytes · Views: 461
Last edited:
I don't believe there's a general closed form for that sum

There are formulas for specific whole number value of c. ie : for c=0,1,2,3 etc.

Also, it's not hard to find a formula, for a general positive integer value of c. This can be done by simply assuming the sum is a polynomial of degree c+1, and determining the coefficients by plugging in the first c+2 values of the sum.

Need to think more about a general method for real c.

Of course, that's other than using Mathematica, or Maple. In fact, this can be done quite easily using Excel, too.

Wait, but what would the formula be for any real c>0 ?

I tried solving it, but is there a formula for (a+b)^c , where c>0 but where 'c' could be real?...(not just natural). Let's just take the case where (a+b)>0 , because u cannot have a real root for an irrational power of a negative number...

So is there a formula for (a+b)^c where c is real and c>0 and (a+b)>0?

Look at the attachments...um, i posted three sorry :frown:
I needed to break one GIF file into two...so there are three (sorry)

Attachments

• whtisthsum.gif
    whtisthsum.gif
    548 bytes · Views: 442
  • whtbnsum.gif
    whtbnsum.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 457
  • whtbnsum2.gif
    whtbnsum2.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 509
I don't believe there is a general formula for real c. If you use the binomial expansion for [itex](a+b)^c~,~c~\epsilon~\mathbb{R}[/itex], you will still have terms like [itex]a^c[/itex].

You don't have to be including attachments for math representations. You can simply use LaTeX typesetting, as I've done. Look at this thread for LaTeX :
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Hmm...i've found a solution elsewhere on some polysum tripod site:

< http://polysum.tripod.com/ >

What does it mean when an integrand is written only with a lower limit without an upper one?
Does that mean it applies from that lower limit to infinity? or something else?

1. What is the summation formula?

The summation formula, also known as the sigma notation, is a mathematical representation used to express the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is denoted by the symbol ∑ (sigma) and is commonly used in various mathematical and scientific disciplines.

2. How do you use the summation formula?

The summation formula is used to add a sequence of numbers together. To use it, you first need to identify the starting and ending values of the sequence, as well as the expression or function that will be used to calculate each term. Then, you can plug in the values and perform the necessary calculations to find the sum.

3. What is the purpose of the summation formula?

The purpose of the summation formula is to simplify the process of adding a large number of terms in a sequence. It allows for a concise and standardized representation of the sum, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze data in various mathematical and scientific fields.

4. Can the summation formula be used for infinite sequences?

Yes, the summation formula can be used for infinite sequences as long as the sequence follows a specific pattern or has a defined formula for calculating each term. In these cases, the summation formula can be used to find the sum of the infinite sequence by taking the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.

5. Are there any variations of the summation formula?

Yes, there are several variations of the summation formula that are used in different contexts. These include the product notation, which is used to express the product of a sequence of numbers, and the double summation notation, which is used to represent nested sums. There are also various specific summation formulas for different types of sequences, such as arithmetic and geometric progressions.