Is this Differential Equation Exact?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given equation is exact and solving it if it is. The attempt at a solution involves finding M and N, setting them equal to the appropriate derivatives, and integrating to find the solution. A mistake is made, but is corrected, resulting in a successful solution.
musicmar

Homework Statement

Determine whether exact. If yes, solve.

(4t3y-15t2-y)dt + (t4+3y2-t)dy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

M= (4t3y-15t2-y)
N= (t4+3y2-t)

My=4t3-1
Nt= 4t3-1

So, yes it is exact.

fy= M = (4t3y-15t2-y)
f(t,y) = ∫ N dy
= 2t3y2-15t2y-(1/2)y2+g(t)

ft= 6t2y2-30ty+ g'(t)

This is where I've gotten stuck. I know I need to set this equal to M, and then all of the t's should cancel, but from what I've done, that won't work. So, this means I've made a mistake somewhere else.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's your problem:
musicmar said:
fy= M = (4t3y-15t2-y)
Then you fix it here:
f(t,y) = ∫ N dy
and then go back to the mistake:

hi musicmar! :smile:
musicmar said:
f(t,y) = ∫ N dy

nooo, that's ∫ M dy, isn't it? :redface:

you need ∫ N dy :smile:

Yes, you're right. I just did it with N instead of M (oops.) and it worked out perfectly. Thank you so much!

What is an exact differential equation?

An exact differential equation is a type of ordinary differential equation that can be solved by using a method called the method of exact equations. These equations are characterized by having a certain symmetry in their structure, which allows for a specific approach to solving them.

How do you determine if a differential equation is exact?

To determine if a differential equation is exact, you can use a method called the test for exactness. This involves checking if the partial derivatives of the equation's coefficients with respect to the variables involved are equivalent. If they are, then the equation is exact and can be solved using the method of exact equations.

What is the method of exact equations?

The method of exact equations involves using the symmetry present in an exact differential equation to solve it. This method involves finding a function called the integrating factor, which transforms the equation into an exact form. The solution can then be found by integrating the equation and solving for the constant of integration.

Can all differential equations be solved using the method of exact equations?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using the method of exact equations. Only exact differential equations, which have a certain symmetry in their structure, can be solved using this method. Other types of differential equations may require different methods or techniques to solve.

What are some real-world applications of exact differential equations?

Exact differential equations have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to model and analyze systems that involve continuous change, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They can also be used to predict and solve for optimal solutions in various optimization problems.