Solving Spring Work Question: Part d

In summary, the question involves a 260 g block being dropped onto a vertical spring with a spring constant of 2.5 N/cm. The block compresses the spring 13 cm before stopping. Part a asks for the work done by gravitational force, part b asks for the work done by spring force, and part c asks for the speed of the block before impact. Part d asks for the maximum spring compression if the speed at impact is doubled. To solve for this, you must double the answer from part c and use the equation -1/2mv^2=mgd-1/2kd^2. The mistake made was forgetting a negative sign in the equation.
HobieDude16
Okay I have figured out parts a-c but I cannot figure out part d. Here's the question and my answers I have gotten so far:

A 260 g block is dropped onto a relaxed vertical spring that has a spring constant of k = 2.5 N/cm (Figure 7-42). The block becomes attached to the spring and compresses the spring 13 cm before momentarily stopping.

Fig. 7-42

(a) While the spring is being compressed, what work is done on the block by the gravitational force on it?
.33J
(b) What work is done on the block by the spring force while the spring is being compressed?
-2.11J
(c) What is the speed of the block just before it hits the spring? (Assume that friction is negligible.)
3.70m/s
(d) If the speed at impact is doubled, what is the maximum compression of the spring?
m

I tried using the eqn. .5m(2v)^2=mgx-.5kx^2 and it did not work...what did i do wrong? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does ANYBODY have ANY ideas??

you have to double the answer you got from C and that will become your new velocity. then you have to do mgd-1/2kd^2=-1/2mv^2 and you solve for d. Hope this helps.only thing i noticed you did wrong was you didn't put the negative in front of 1/2mv^2. :smile:

Thanks a lot! I forgot a negative sign.

1. What is the formula for solving spring work in Part d?

The formula for solving spring work in Part d is W = 1/2kx^2, where W is the work done in Joules, k is the spring constant in N/m, and x is the displacement in meters.

2. How do you determine the spring constant in Part d?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented as k = F/x.

3. Can you explain the significance of solving spring work in Part d?

Solving spring work in Part d allows us to calculate the amount of energy stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched. This information is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

4. Is there a specific unit for spring work in Part d?

Yes, the unit for spring work in Part d is Joules (J), which is the unit for energy.

5. How does solving spring work in Part d relate to Hooke's Law?

Solving spring work in Part d is directly related to Hooke's Law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance. This means that as the displacement of the spring increases, so does the amount of work done on the spring.