Who profits from the US national debt?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Debt
In summary, US citizens prefer deficit spending because of the high levels of personal, business, and governmental debt. The current surplus is not due to Clinton, but to the Republican-led Congress of the 1990s.
onegermanbeerglass said:
The money delegated for Social Security has been placed in government bonds which grow at less than 2% on average

'Scuse me? During most of my lifetime 30 year treasuries have paid in the 7-9% range. They are currently depressed along with all other interest rates, but you can't use a current minimum to compare to a long-time average.

Physics news on Phys.org
7-9% over 30 years, not annually and not compounded.

Meanwhile, with even only 2% inflation annually (which is far lower than average), we reach 10.41% when compounded after only 5 years.

Meanwhile, those treasury bonds are becoming de-valued.

I was being somewhat flip - I was trying to get some reaction (any reaction) to the social security problem. Yes, any such plan would require a gradual phase-in, likely over the course of a generation. Rough guess, but any phase-out would make the budget worse-off for a decade, but after that, far, far better off.

Refer to the great plan for fixing some of those budget problems. I'll be posting some info I've found to support that.