What is the best self-study Quantum book?

In summary, Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, and it has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world. It is essential for understanding many phenomena in modern science and has practical applications. To study it, one can choose from various self-study books, depending on their level of understanding and interests. It is possible to learn it through self-study, but having a background in physics and mathematics and using high-quality resources is recommended.
totentanz
Can anyone tell me what is the best self-study book in quantum mechanics...I use now Quantum Mechanics Demystified (David McMahon)...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you for sure that the book you're using is the worst choice you could possibly make. A search on the forum would provide you with lots of other far more better choices. Among others griffiths, ballentine, shankar.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles interact with each other and with electromagnetic radiation, and how this interaction leads to the formation of atoms, molecules, and other structures.

2. Why should I study Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a fundamental theory that has revolutionized our understanding of the physical world. It is essential for understanding many phenomena in modern science, including the behavior of atoms, the structure of matter, and the nature of light. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like computers and lasers.

3. What are the best self-study Quantum books?

The best self-study Quantum books will depend on your level of understanding and your specific interests. Some popular options include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

4. How do I choose the right Quantum book for me?

To choose the right Quantum book for you, consider your current knowledge of the subject and what you hope to gain from the book. If you are new to Quantum Mechanics, look for a book that provides a clear and thorough introduction to the basic concepts. If you have some background in the subject, look for a more advanced book that will challenge and expand your understanding.

5. Can I learn Quantum Mechanics through self-study?

Yes, it is possible to learn Quantum Mechanics through self-study. However, it is a complex and abstract subject, so it may be helpful to have a background in physics and mathematics. It is also important to choose a high-quality book and to supplement your learning with practice problems and resources such as online lectures or study groups.