In my interpretation of this circuit correct?

In summary: When connecting an electrolytic capacitor to an AC supply, care should be taken to make sure the capacitor is connected to the supply in the correct polarity. The +ve side of the capacitor should be attached to the +ve terminal of the supply, and the -ve side should be attached to the -ve terminal.
PainterGuy
Hello everyone, :wink:

Have a see on this link:-
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7236/vinvout.jpg

Diagram #1 is what I found in a book. I couldn't understand how this circuit will be transformed into practical form. Therefore, in Diagram #2 I have my interpretation presented. Is it any good?:rolleyes: "D" is ground for Vin and RL is load resistance such as a light bulb.

Help me out with this please.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your added ground at the left clarifies the existing convention. If only one input terminal is shown and there is an explicit ground, then that becomes the other terminal.

However, by adding a load resistor on the right, you have altered the original circuit. Currents and voltages have changed because of the new load resistor.

Antiphon said:
Your added ground at the left clarifies the existing convention. If only one input terminal is shown and there is an explicit ground, then that becomes the other terminal.

However, by adding a load resistor on the right, you have altered the original circuit. Currents and voltages have changed because of the new load resistor.

Many thanks Antiphon. So my interpretation is not wrong.:smile:

Much grateful for this simple and to the point reply.

Cheers

Hello again, :wink:

Need your help again.

Can the grounds A, B, C, and D be connected together? I do not understand this because of Vdc. How can you mix grounds of DC and AC (Vin can be AC driven source, right?).

Diagram #1 is original version I found in a book and Diagram #2 is version of my interpretation.

Link: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1574/groundfordcsource.jpg

Help me please. Please keep the things simple also.

Cheers

That looks like a clipper circuit, so yes, Vin would likely be an AC or some other kind of varying source.

Not only can the grounds be connected together, they must be connected together for the circuit to work properly. That's basically the definition of an electrical ground. From the textbook I have in front of me:

"The [ground] symbol does not represent any specific electrical component. Rather, it represents a common electrical point in an electric circuit (or an electric system) which is a common connecting point for many components."

You don't need to draw the other terminals for Vin, Vout, and Vdc. It's a convention of schematics that when the other terminal is not given it is implied to be ground. Drawing it in is unnecessary and clutters up the schematic. Though if it helps you keep track of what's going on where, that's fine. everyone has there own way of dealing with the complexity of this stuff.

Also, Vout might not necessarily be attached to a resistor. It could go to an amplifier, an Analog/Digital converter, a demodulator, or many other different kinds of circuit.

There's no such thing as an "AC" and "DC" ground. Ground is 0V, no matter what it's hooked to. You'll have to explain a little more about why you think it would be bad.

Unrelated, but funny observation: The little overhand thing on your r's is drawn so short they look like little Y's. I tend to do the opposite. Mine are drawn so long they look like n's.

Many thanks Jiggy-Ninja. You have been very helpful seriously. I have learned quite many things from you in last month or so. Much grateful.

If you don't mind could you please tell me which book that definition of ground symbol has been taken from? It looks a good definition. I have a copy of Introductory Circuit Analysis by Boylested and mI personaly don't find it very much helpful. I have also started a thread in science book section to get someone's advice on simpl and straightforward book on circuit analysis for a beginner.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0028048474/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's pretty small (less than 400 pages) but it covers all the basics for AC and DC circuits. Resistance, Reactance, voltage dividers, magnetism, transformers, even mesh current analysis (I think that's what it's called). I don't know how good it actually is, since it's not my school textbook. I think my dad got it from his friend a few years ago, and it's been laying around the house ever since. I use it mainly to compare to my other textbook in case anything was omitted or explained poorly.

It sees much less verbose and more concise than my other book, so that's one thing I like it for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Jiggy-Ninja. :wink:

I was reading that an electrolytic capacitor (I remember you also told me this in some other post) that care should be taken when connecting it. The +ve side of the capacitor must be attached to +ve terminal of the supply. Okay. It's easy in the case of a DC supply. We know the conventional current flows from +ve terminal of the battery to the -ve one.

But what about the AC supply which keeps on switching its +ve and -ve? Connecting the +ve side of the capacitor to either wires of the supply does not make much difference.:uhh: Perhaps we must use diode which let the current flow in only one direction? Help me with this please.

Cheers

Yeah, you don't put AC on your electrolytic, unless you like smelly capacitor junk.

If you need AC, you can get special nonpolarized electrolytic capacitors. They're actually composed of two electrolytic capacitors of opposite polarity in series with one another.

The notation in your original diagram is not correct. In Diagram #2 of your OP you are suggesting that Vin is shorted to ground. That is not how you specify that Vin's negative terminal is tied to ground. Notation for circuits is such that if you have Vin or Vin+ as the only references to Vin than it is implied that the other terminal is tied to ground.

sixstringartist said:
The notation in your original diagram is not correct. In Diagram #2 of your OP you are suggesting that Vin is shorted to ground. That is not how you specify that Vin's negative terminal is tied to ground. Notation for circuits is such that if you have Vin or Vin+ as the only references to Vin than it is implied that the other terminal is tied to ground.

Hello sixstringartist,

Are you speaking about the diagram in this post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3241025&postcount=4

I think you are saying that I should not show -Vdc connected to ground. Is this you saying? Tell me please.

Cheers

No, he was talking about your first diagram:

Both Vins are labelled the same, suggesting they are the same terminal. They should be labelled +Vin and -Vin, representing the two different terminals of the AC source.

However, when one terminal is tied directly to ground, it's not necessary to show both of them. As he and I both mentioned, you just show Vin for one terminal, and the other, by its absence, is implied to be at ground.

Jiggy-Ninja said:
No, he was talking about your first diagram:

Both Vins are labelled the same, suggesting they are the same terminal. They should be labelled +Vin and -Vin, representing the two different terminals of the AC source.

However, when one terminal is tied directly to ground, it's not necessary to show both of them. As he and I both mentioned, you just show Vin for one terminal, and the other, by its absence, is implied to be at ground.

Many thanks Jiggy-Ninja for clearing this out. Yes he was right then.

Cheers

What is the purpose of this circuit?

The purpose of this circuit is to perform a specific function, such as amplifying a signal or converting electrical energy into another form. It is designed with specific components and connections to achieve this function.

How does this circuit work?

This circuit works by utilizing the principles of electricity and electronics to control the flow of current and voltage through different components. The components are connected in a specific way to achieve a desired outcome.

What components are used in this circuit?

The components used in this circuit can vary depending on its purpose, but some common components include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. These components are used to control the flow of electricity and perform specific functions within the circuit.

Can this circuit be modified?

Yes, this circuit can be modified by changing the values of its components or by adding or removing components. However, any modifications should be carefully considered to ensure the circuit will still function properly and safely.

Is my interpretation of this circuit correct?

Without seeing your specific interpretation, it is difficult to say for certain. However, as long as your interpretation is based on the principles of electricity and electronics and takes into account the components and their connections, it is likely to be correct. It is always a good idea to double check your interpretation with a reliable source or another scientist.