Rigid Rotor: Finding Angles

In summary, the problem is to find the angles (theta, phi) at which the probability density of finding the rigid rotor for the spherical harmonic m=1, l=1 is highest. The equation given is Y = (3/8pi)1/2*sin(theta)*ei*phi, and setting Y = (Y)(Y*) shows that the probability density is greatest at theta = pi/2 and does not depend on phi.
TI-83

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the angles (theta, phi) it is most probable to find the rigid rotor for the spherical harmonic m=1, l=1

Homework Equations

The equation given is Y = (3/8pi)1/2*sin(theta)*ei*phi

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve it by multiplying by the complex conjugate and setting that equal to 1. Doing so, I obtain (3/8pi)*sin2(theta) = 1 ... but from there, I can't seem to figure out how to solve for the angles (theta, phi). Any suggestions of where to go from here? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're misunderstanding what Y is. Y is the angular component of the wavefunction. The product of Y with its complex conjugate gives the probability density of finding the rotor at (theta,phi). Setting this product to 1 is meaningless; instead, you want to see at which angles this probability density is highest.

I see what you're saying.

So if I set Y = (Y)(Y*), I get that Y = (3/8pi)(sin2theta)

Therefore, I know at theta = pi/2, Y will be greatest. What is the impact of phi on this, though? Or am I just not getting it (again)?

phi cancels out, so the probability density does not depend on phi. This makes sense--the configuration is symmetrical about the z axis, so it wouldn't be logical for one "phi" to be favored over another.

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, instead of setting the complex conjugate equal to 1, you should set it equal to the probability of finding the rigid rotor in that particular state. This probability is given by the square of the magnitude of the wavefunction (Y). So, your equation would become (3/8pi)*sin2(theta) = |Y|^2. From here, you can solve for theta by taking the inverse sine of both sides and then using the given value of m=1 and l=1 to find phi. I hope this helps!

1. What is a rigid rotor in physics?

A rigid rotor is a simplified model used to describe the rotational motion of a rigid body. It assumes that the body is perfectly rigid and has a fixed axis of rotation, neglecting any deformations or changes in its shape.

2. How do you find the angles of a rigid rotor?

The angles of a rigid rotor can be found using the Euler angles, which are a set of three angles that specify the orientation of the body in three-dimensional space. These angles can be calculated using various methods, such as using the inertia tensor or solving the Euler equations of motion.

3. What is the significance of finding the angles of a rigid rotor?

Knowing the angles of a rigid rotor is important in understanding the rotational motion of a body and predicting its behavior. This information is useful in many applications, such as in spacecraft navigation and control, robotics, and molecular dynamics simulations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a rigid rotor model?

Yes, there are limitations to using a rigid rotor model. It assumes that the body is perfectly rigid, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. It also neglects any external forces or torques acting on the body, and the effects of non-uniform mass distribution.

5. Can the angles of a rigid rotor change over time?

Yes, the angles of a rigid rotor can change over time if the body is subjected to external forces or torques. However, in the absence of any external influences, the angles will remain constant due to the body's fixed axis of rotation.