Formatting Woes: Pasting from MS Word to Physics Forums

• Thread starter bobfei
  • Start date
In summary: MS Word into the physicsforums.com forum. However, it is not possible to copy and paste directly from MS Word to the forum, as the forum requires a different format called UBBC or BBCode. There is no known editor that can format content to match UBBC as pasted into the forum. Although, there is one commercial program that can export UBBC formatted chemical formulas to clipboard. However, this feature is not widely available and only one person has implemented it.
bobfei
Hi,

I would like to ask one question on physicsforums.com pasting.

Is it possible to past formatted contents from MS Word directly into the forum? I tried but most of the formats were lost.

If MS Word is not possible, is there any editor whose format can be WYSWYG as pasted into the forum?

Thanks,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
MS Word exports in RTF, vBulletin needs UBBC AKA BBCode, so no, there is no way of simple copy/paste.

I am not aware of any editor that will work the way you need it, it doesn't mean there is no such thing.

I know of at least one commercial program capable of exporting UBBC formatted chemical formulas to clipboard. Its a stoichiometry calculator I wrote by myself. I don't pretend to be the only one who implemented the idea.

Borek said:
MS Word exports in RTF, vBulletin needs UBBC AKA BBCode, so no, there is no way of simple copy/paste.

I am not aware of any editor that will work the way you need it, it doesn't mean there is no such thing.

I know of at least one commercial program capable of exporting UBBC formatted chemical formulas to clipboard. Its a stoichiometry calculator I wrote by myself. I don't pretend to be the only one who implemented the idea.

Dear Borek,

Thanks for the answer.

Bob

1. What does "WYSIWYG pasting" mean?

WYSIWYG stands for "What You See Is What You Get". In the context of pasting into a forum, it means that the formatting and layout of the text you are copying will be preserved when you paste it into the forum.

2. How do I paste text into a forum without losing its formatting?

To ensure that your text is pasted in a WYSIWYG manner, you can use the "paste as plain text" option in your forum's editor. This will strip any formatting from the text you are pasting, allowing it to be pasted in its original form.

3. Can I paste images into a forum using WYSIWYG pasting?

Yes, you can paste images into a forum using WYSIWYG pasting as long as the forum's editor supports it. However, the image must be hosted online and have a URL in order for it to appear in the forum post.

4. What if my text is not pasting correctly into the forum?

If you are experiencing issues with your text not pasting correctly into the forum, it may be due to incompatible formatting or encoding. You can try using the "paste as plain text" option or manually formatting the text in the forum editor after pasting.

5. Is WYSIWYG pasting the same as copy and paste?

No, WYSIWYG pasting is a specific type of copy and paste that preserves the formatting and layout of the text being copied. Regular copy and paste may result in the loss of formatting and layout when pasted into a forum.