Basic Physics - Spinning Head (mine)

In summary: I change my answer to (c) has bigger wheels.In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking assistance with physics problems. They are requesting review and comments on several problems, with their answers marked with asterisks. The conversation also includes a discussion on learning physics and the importance of developing good thinking skills rather than just applying formulas. The student also receives guidance on which problems are correct and is encouraged to share their thought process. They then provide their thoughts on problems 3, 4, 5, and 6, changing their answers for 3 and 5 based on further reflection.
PhysicsNovice
Hello again all. This is my 6th posting requesting some assistance for some new physics problem. It is getting a bit easier to understand but I would like some review and comments on the following problems. My answers are marked with an astericks. You do not have to necessarily provide me the answers. Please tell me which ones are correct and for those that are not some direction as to where to focus. Thanks for your time and comments.

1. What is the rotational speed of the minute hand on a clock?
a. 0.000278 rev/s*
b. 0.00175 rev/s
c. 0.0167 rev/s
d. 0.105 rev/s

2. A child with a mass of 25 kg is riding on a merry-go-round. If the child has a speed of 3 m/s and is located 2 m from the center of the merry-go-round, what is the child's angular momentum?
a. 50 kg·m2/s
b. 75 kg·m2/s*
c. 150 kg·m2/s
d. 300 kg·m2/s

3. Newton's first law for rotational motion states that an object will maintain its state of rotational motion unless acted on by an unbalanced (or net):
a. force
b. velocity
c. inertia*
d. torque

4. A child with a mass of 20 kg sits at a distance of 2.0 m from the pivot point of a seesaw. Where should a 16-kg child sit to balance the seesaw?
a. 1.6 m*
b. 2.0 m
c. 2.5 m
d. 3.2 m

5. A solid sphere and a solid cylinder are made of the same material. If they have the same mass and radius, which one has the larger rotational inertia about its center?
a. the sphere
b. the cylinder
c. both the same
d. There is not enough information to say*

6. A fully-loaded trailer truck is less stable than a race car because the truck:
a. is more massive
b. has a higher center of mass*
c. has bigger wheels
d. weighs more

7. If you face a wall with your toes against the baseboard, you find that you cannot stand up on your toes because:
a. you cannot generate the necessary torque
b. your rotational inertia is too large
c. your center of mass is too high
d. your center of mass cannot move forward over your toes*

8. An astronaut "floating" in Skylab has an initial rotational motion but no initial translational motion relative to Skylab. She continues to rotate because she:
a. experiences no net force*
b. experiences a net force that acts through her center of mass
c. is weightless
d. experiences a torque due to the force of gravity

9. A spinning gyroscope points directly at the North Star when it is located at the North Pole. If it is transported to the South Pole without exerting any torques on it, which way will it point?
a. up
b. down*
c. horizontally

10. Assume that Gerry sits on a freely rotating stool holding a bicycle wheel with its axle vertical so that it rotates in a clockwise direction when viewed from above. If Gerry turns the wheel over, he will:
a. not rotate because the system of wheel and Gerry is closed or isolated
b. not rotate because the two torques cancel
c. rotate clockwise because angular momentum is conserved*
d. rotate counterclockwise because angular momentum is conserved

Physics news on Phys.org
Your grade is 6 out of 10.

PhysicsNovice:
If I remember correctly, you educate yourself with an on-line physics program.
That's great!
But what would really be educational for you, is if you post your own thoughts on why you think your answer is correct.

Learning physics is first and foremost about developing good ways of thinking physics;
not primarily to apply rigid formulas to solve artificial problems correctly.

If you develop your own thoughts in your posts, that's what you'll get responses to, and you'll learn a lot more.

Thanks Krab for the review of my problems. Good you provide some insight please. Which ones are correct and those that are not some guidance (i.e. a formula, physics law or theory, etc.) Thanks again for reviewing.

Thanks Arildo. That is a good idea. Your memory is correct about the on-line course I am taking on basic physics. In my previous threads I have posted the questions and my answer first. Then viewers would comment on the problems telling me the ones that are correct so I know that my thinking was obviously correct. The incorrect ones I would get suggestions on how to solve (especially when Doc Al reviewed). From there I would express my thinking on how I derived the first incorrect answer followed by new answer. This way just saved a lot of detailed explanations at the beginning. Again, your suggestion is right on target. I do get the most out of this site when I write out my thought process to solving problems. Thanks again.

Doc Al is very nice! :smile:

Well, could you write just a few comments on:
3,4,5,6 for starters?

Hey Arildo. Here we go. #3 - I do want to change my answer to (a) force. The reason is that in all of the readings and examples given on-line objects in motion tend to stay that way unless acted upon by a force. Forces seem to be the initiator of maintaining velocity, changes in velocity (acceleration), changes in direction, etc. #4 Of all the problems this is the one I thought I was most sure was correct. Logic made me think that if the 20 kg child was sitting 3 m away from the fulcrum then a 16 kg child would have to sit closer than 3 m. The only answer then would be (a) 1.6 m And if I drew the see-saw with x being the unknow distance I stated that 20 kg is to 3 m as 16 kg is to x. Therefore, 20x = 32 or x = 1.6 #5 This question deals with rotational inertia. I thought the factors affecting RI are the velocity of rotation and the mass of the rotating object. If both the cylinder and sphere have the same radius length then we know that the sphere has a certain length (2r) but the sphere could be any length...oops I just re-read the question and it states that the sphere and the cylinder have the same mass so the length of the cylinder doesn't matter. I change my answer to (c) both the same. #6 I read the question again and I am not sure. When I first answered I was thinking about the car and truck going around a turn and how the force acting on the truck with a higher center of gravity would be unstable. I do not think this is what is meant. I am not sure. Well, if I get the first three correct then you are not only right about this approach I think that I should take my time and do this before posting the problems. How did I do?

"#3 - I do want to change my answer to (a) force. The reason is that in all of the readings and examples given on-line objects in motion tend to stay that way unless acted upon by a force. Forces seem to be the initiator of maintaining velocity, changes in velocity (acceleration), changes in direction, etc. "
Your last sentence is a very important observation about force!
However, answering (a) is untrue.
It is the net TORQUE an object experiences which causes rotational acceleration; in the absence of a net TORQUE, an object maintains its state of rotational motion.

I'll look into the others in a while..

PhysicsNovice said:
#4 Of all the problems this is the one I thought I was most sure was correct. Logic made me think that if the 20 kg child was sitting 3 m away from the fulcrum then a 16 kg child would have to sit closer than 3 m. The only answer then would be (a) 1.6 m And if I drew the see-saw with x being the unknow distance I stated that 20 kg is to 3 m as 16 kg is to x. Therefore, 20x = 32 or x = 1.6
Think again, and think of the limitting case. If the child has very very small mass, he should sit very near the fulcrum? I think not!

Krav, thanks. I can not even use logic correctly. I understand completely that a child of less mass would have to sit further away from the pivot point on the see-saw. Again, using the data furnished in #4...a child of mass 20kg sits 2m away from a pivot point of a see-saw. A child of 16kg would have to sit x meters away...20kg x 2m = 16kg x ?...(20)(2) = (16)x...40 = 16x...40/16 = 16x/16...2.5 = x...Therefore, (c) is correct. Thanks.

1. What is the concept behind the "spinning head" experiment in basic physics?

The spinning head experiment is a demonstration of angular momentum and conservation of energy. It involves a person standing on a rotating platform with their arms outstretched, holding spinning weights. When they bring their arms closer to their body, they will spin faster due to the conservation of angular momentum.

2. How does the mass and distance of the weights affect the spinning speed of the head?

The spinning speed of the head is directly proportional to the mass and distance of the weights. This means that the larger the mass and the farther the weights are from the body, the faster the head will spin when the person brings their arms closer to their body.

3. Is the spinning head experiment affected by external forces?

Yes, the spinning head experiment is affected by external forces such as air resistance and friction from the rotating platform. These forces can slow down the spinning speed of the head and may need to be taken into account when analyzing the results.

4. What other variables can affect the outcome of the spinning head experiment?

The spinning head experiment can also be affected by the initial speed of the rotating platform, the height of the person, and the angle at which they hold their arms. These variables can all impact the conservation of energy and momentum and therefore affect the spinning speed of the head.

5. What real-life applications does the spinning head experiment have?

The concept of angular momentum and conservation of energy demonstrated in the spinning head experiment has many real-life applications. It is used in sports such as ice skating and gymnastics, as well as in engineering and physics to understand the motion of rotating objects. It also has practical applications in the development of artificial satellites and spacecraft.