How to build a pancake DC Motor?

bspraggins
I need to build a micro pancake DC Motor. I actually need 32 of them connected in a line with one power supply. The motors need to be about the size of a dime. Could someone write me a how to guide on how this can be done. It is for a prototype.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might buy a miniature pancake motor and take it apart. See http://www.motionshop.com/pr/Maxon-6mm-Pan.shtml

In 1960, Feynman (the physicist) offered a $1000 prize to the first person who could build an electric motor less than 1/64" in size. Someone did, and it was sitting in a glass case in the Cal Tech Physics Dept. for many years. It was a 3 phase brushless induction motor. It was under a microscope so you could watch it spin when you pressed the switch.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a pancake DC motor work?

A pancake DC motor works by using the principles of electromagnetism and mechanical rotation. The motor consists of a series of coils, called armature windings, that are connected to a power source. When electricity flows through the armature windings, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets placed around the motor. This interaction causes the rotor, a spinning component of the motor, to rotate, creating motion.

2. What materials are needed to build a pancake DC motor?

The materials needed to build a pancake DC motor include a cylindrical stator, permanent magnets, a rotor, armature windings, brushes, a commutator, and a power source. The stator is typically made of laminated steel and the permanent magnets are usually made of a material such as neodymium. The rotor can be made of laminated steel or copper, and the armature windings are typically made of copper wire. Brushes and a commutator are used to transfer electricity to the armature windings from the power source.

3. What are the steps to building a pancake DC motor?

The steps to building a pancake DC motor include designing the motor, gathering materials, constructing the stator, attaching the permanent magnets, winding the armature, assembling the rotor, connecting the armature windings to the commutator, and finally, connecting the motor to a power source. More specific instructions and diagrams can be found in online tutorials or instructional books.

4. How can I make my pancake DC motor more powerful?

There are a few ways to make a pancake DC motor more powerful. One way is to use stronger permanent magnets, which will increase the strength of the magnetic field. Another way is to increase the number of armature windings, which will create more interactions with the magnetic field and generate more torque. Additionally, using a higher voltage power source can also increase the motor's power output.

5. What are some common problems when building a pancake DC motor?

Common problems when building a pancake DC motor include incorrectly winding the armature, using weak or mismatched magnets, and improper assembly of the motor components. It is also important to ensure that all connections are secure and that the motor is balanced to prevent excessive vibration. Additionally, using too much or too little power can cause the motor to malfunction. It is important to follow instructions carefully and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the building process.