Quantifiers - does this order matter?

• Thread starter gmmstr827
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, quantifiers are words or phrases that indicate the quantity or amount of something and are important for specifying and adding precision to statements or questions. The order of quantifiers greatly impacts the meaning of a sentence, with the most common order being determiners, numbers, quantity words, and adjectives. However, this order can be changed for emphasis, but it may alter the intended meaning. There are also exceptions to the usual order, such as using "a few" or "few" in different contexts.
gmmstr827
Is saying [itex]\exists[/itex]x, [itex]\exists[/itex]y
the same as saying [itex]\exists[/itex]y, [itex]\exists[/itex]x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gmmstr827! :smile:

No, in this case, the order doesn't matter.

Alright, because the professor I have right now thinks those are two completely different things. He reads it as "there exists an x such that there exists a y (for that specific x)." This is the second time I had the class (it didn't transfer colleges) and my previous professor said they're the same thing.

Is there a law describing this somewhere?

1. What are quantifiers and why do they matter?

Quantifiers are words or phrases that indicate the quantity or amount of something. They are important because they help us to be more specific and precise when making statements or asking questions.

2. How does the order of quantifiers impact the meaning of a sentence?

The order of quantifiers can greatly affect the meaning of a sentence. For example, the statement "I have some apples" implies that there is more than one apple, while "I have an apple" suggests that there is only one apple.

3. What is the correct order of quantifiers in English?

The most common order of quantifiers in English is as follows: determiners (e.g. a, an, the), numbers (e.g. one, two, three), quantity words (e.g. some, many, a lot of), and then adjectives (e.g. red, large, delicious).

4. Can the order of quantifiers be changed?

Yes, the order of quantifiers can be changed depending on the emphasis or meaning that the speaker wants to convey. However, changing the order may alter the intended meaning of the sentence.

5. Are there any exceptions to the usual order of quantifiers?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the usual order of quantifiers. For example, we can say "I have a few apples" or "I have few apples", and both are grammatically correct. However, the first sentence suggests that there are some apples, while the second implies that there are not many apples.