Preliminary SMSG texts vs Gelfand vs UCSMP?

• Thread starter greenneub
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about comparing different math textbooks, specifically the SMSG preliminary texts, Gelfand books, and the University of Chicago School Mathematics Projects. The person is looking for a rigorous textbook series to supplement their current textbooks and is asking for comments from Mathwonk and other senior members. A review of the Gelfand books is provided as a reference.
greenneub
Hey all. I was hoping that Mathwonk might be able to comment on these. I found these SMSG preliminary texts via Google Scholar. There's a link below but if you want to check for yourself, enter "intermediate mathematics frank allen smsg" into Google Scholar. Should come up as the first two or three links. I was just wondering if a Print Centre would be able to print and bind these or does the copyright stamp on the second page/book cover page forbid it?

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se...ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED173087"

Also, if one of the mentors or senior members could comment on this, how do the Gelfand books compare to SMSG? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a rigorous textbook series that can either replace, or at the least supplement the James Stewart Precalculus and a couple Hirsch Goodman algebra texts I have. Does anyone know how the University of Chicago School Mathematics Projects compares to Gelfand or SMSG? Is the UCSMP a "new" SMSG? Thanks very much in advance for responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the main differences between Preliminary SMSG texts, Gelfand, and UCSMP?

The main differences between these three math programs are their approach to teaching and the content they cover. Preliminary SMSG texts focus on problem-solving and real-world applications, while Gelfand emphasizes conceptual understanding and building mathematical thinking skills. UCSMP takes a more integrated approach, covering a variety of mathematical topics in a connected manner.

2. Which program is the most effective for teaching math?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as the effectiveness of a math program can vary depending on individual student needs and teacher implementation. However, research has shown that all three programs have had success in improving student achievement in math.

3. How do these programs compare in terms of student engagement and interest?

Preliminary SMSG texts and Gelfand have been praised for their engaging and thought-provoking approach to teaching math, while UCSMP has faced criticism for being too dense and lacking in real-world examples. However, again, the effectiveness of a program in engaging students can vary greatly depending on individual factors.

4. Are these programs aligned with common core standards?

Preliminary SMSG texts and Gelfand were developed before the introduction of common core standards and may not align perfectly with them. However, both programs cover many of the same mathematical concepts and skills outlined in the standards. UCSMP was created with the common core in mind and is designed to align with the standards.

5. Are there any notable successes or drawbacks of these programs?

All three programs have had successes in improving student achievement, particularly in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, some critics have raised concerns about the lack of diversity and real-world applications in Gelfand and UCSMP, while others have noted that Preliminary SMSG texts may not provide enough practice for students to fully master the material.

Back