Inverse Function of g(x) at 4 - Solve Algebraically

In summary, there is no algebraic solution for finding the inverse of g at 4. A sketch of the equations y=e^x and y=1-x shows that there is only one solution, which is x=0. Therefore, the initial guess of x=0 is the best method for finding the inverse.
Miike012
Problem: If g(x) = 3 + x + e^x find Inverse of g at 4

My work:

4 = 3 + x + e^x
1 = x + e^x

This is where I stop... I can look at it and see that x = 0
But I don't know how to find the solution algebraically...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't find the solution algebraically, you'll need to use numerical methods.

Miike012 said:
Problem: If g(x) = 3 + x + e^x find Inverse of g at 4

My work:

4 = 3 + x + e^x
1 = x + e^x

This is where I stop... I can look at it and see that x = 0
But I don't know how to find the solution algebraically...

On the one set of axes draw a sketch of y=e^x and y=1-x and see that there's only the one solution. So your initial guess is it.

There is no algebraic solution in terms of elementary functions. So your "look at it" method is as good as any.

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that performs the opposite operation of another function. In other words, if the original function takes an input x and produces an output y, the inverse function takes y as an input and produces x as an output.

2. How do you find the inverse function of g(x) at 4?

To find the inverse function of g(x) at 4, we need to solve for x in the equation g(x) = 4. This can be done algebraically by isolating x on one side of the equation and taking the inverse operation of the function on both sides.

3. Can an inverse function exist for every function?

No, not every function has an inverse function. For an inverse function to exist, the original function must be one-to-one, meaning that each input corresponds to a unique output. If the original function is not one-to-one, it is not possible to find a unique inverse function.

4. Is there a shortcut or easier way to find the inverse function?

There are certain types of functions, such as linear functions, for which there are shortcut methods to find the inverse function. However, for more complex functions, the standard method of algebraically solving for x is the most reliable way to find the inverse function.

5. Can you graph an inverse function?

Yes, an inverse function can be graphed just like any other function. The graph of the inverse function will be a reflection of the original function over the line y = x. This means that points on the original function will have their x and y coordinates switched on the graph of the inverse function.