Calculating Rotational Motion: Solving for Time in Uniform Door Rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two doors, A and B, rotating about different axes and a force F being applied to each door at its right edge. The question is how long it takes for door B to rotate through the same angle as door A. The person is stuck on how to incorporate time into the equations and is seeking guidance on how to solve the problem. They are also questioning the different torque values for each door and how to approach the problem. The suggested method is to find the angle for door A using the given information, and then using that to calculate the time for door B.
pinky2468
I am having a very hard time with this problem! Even my teacher had trouble with it(of course we are still expected to have it done on our homework!)

2 doors are uniform and identical. Door A rotates about an axis to its left edge and door B rotates about an axis through the center. The same force F is applied perpendicular to each door at its right edge and the force remains perpendicular to as the door turns. Starting from rest, door A rotates through a certain angle in 3.00s. How long does it take door B to rotate through the same angle.

So I got as far as 1/3ML^2(alpha)=1/12M(L/2)^2(alpha) and then I get stuck on how o make time fit in. I have been looking at all the equations for rotational motion, but I don't know which one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex] to find the [itex]\alpha[/itex] for each case. Then apply the kinematic equation that gives [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of time.

This is what I am coming up with:
1/3ML^2(2[itex]\theta[/itex]/t^2)= 1/12ML/2^2(2[itex]\theta[/itex]/t^2)

ML^2 cancel out and so does the 2[itex]\theta[/itex]
and I am left with (1/3)(1/t^2)=(1/12)(1/4)(1/t^2)

Is that right? Where do I go from there?

pinky2468 said:
This is what I am coming up with:
1/3ML^2(2[itex]\theta[/itex]/t^2)= 1/12ML/2^2(2[itex]\theta[/itex]/t^2)
The torque is different in each case.

But the same force is applied to each door in the same spot?? If the torque is different then I am not sure what to do b/c the only known value is time.

A: torque is FL
B: torque is FL/2

That is what I had, but can't I set them equal to each other?

pinky2468 said:
That is what I had, but can't I set them equal to each other?
No, since they are not equal! You can easily relate them though.

You should use the information given to find out the angle for door A. Treat door A and B as separate cases, door A is there just to tell you the angle. Then you find out the [tex]\alpha[/tex] from the [tex]\tau and I[/tex] that you already have. If you can find out the angle of door A, then you shouldn't have problem working out time for door B because it's sort of working backward with the method you used for A.

1. What is rotation about a fixed axis?

Rotation about a fixed axis is a type of rotational motion where an object rotates around an axis that remains stationary. This means that the object's distance from the axis remains constant as it rotates.

2. What is the difference between rotation about a fixed axis and rotation about a moving axis?

The main difference is that in rotation about a fixed axis, the axis of rotation remains stationary, while in rotation about a moving axis, the axis of rotation is constantly changing. This results in different types of motion and can have different effects on the object's behavior.

3. How is rotational motion calculated for rotation about a fixed axis?

Rotational motion is calculated using the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity (the rate of change of angular displacement), Δθ represents the change in angular displacement, and Δt represents the change in time. This equation is derived from the relationship between linear and angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What are some real-world examples of rotation about a fixed axis?

Some common examples include the rotation of a wheel on an axle, the rotation of a spinning top, and the rotation of a merry-go-round. Other examples include the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the rotation of a fan blade, and the rotation of a CD or record on a turntable.

5. How does rotational inertia affect rotation about a fixed axis?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In rotation about a fixed axis, the object's moment of inertia affects how easily it can be rotated and how quickly it will come to a stop. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more force to rotate and will continue rotating for longer periods of time.