My PMs Vanished! What Just Happened?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: Not bitching, just wondering how it could have fallen through the cracks. Makes me wonder if I've been doing something wrong all these years.Could have been just really bad timing. I saw it all the time, you might have looked each time that it got displaced with another post.Maybe people you exchanged pm's with made copies?Deletion is forever, it's the direst thing a system administrator can do to your data. Wouldn't a more prominent form of announcement be warranted, like a flaming fireball in the middle of the front page, or a message sent to the registration emails of all users?Deletion is forever, it's the direst thing a system administrator can do to your data.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
What just happened to my PMs? In a split second it went from hundreds to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
This wasn't handled very intelligently. I just lost all of mine, and only found out about the scheduled "global wipe", when I looked in this meta-forum for the first time, looking for someone to contact.

mitchell porter said:
This wasn't handled very intelligently. I just lost all of mine, and only found out about the scheduled "global wipe", when I looked in this meta-forum for the first time, looking for someone to contact.
This Forum should be checked regularly for "Announcements". That's the purpose of this forum.

Evo said:
This Forum should be checked regularly for "Announcements". That's the purpose of this forum.

I hit the 'New Posts' button no less than several times a day every single day without fail. I doubt there are ten people on this board - including the Mods - that check as often as I do. I never saw that post.

Not bitching, just wondering how it could have fallen through the cracks. Makes me wonder if I've been doing something wrong all these years.

DaveC426913 said:
I hit the 'New Posts' button no less than several times a day every single day without fail. I doubt there are ten people on this board - including the Mods - that check as often as I do. I never saw that post.

Not bitching, just wondering how it could have fallen through the cracks. Makes me wonder if I've been doing something wrong all these years.
Could have been just really bad timing. I saw it all the time, you might have looked each time that it got displaced with another post.

Maybe people you exchanged pm's with made copies?

Deletion is forever, it's the direst thing a system administrator can do to your data. Wouldn't a more prominent form of announcement be warranted, like a flaming fireball in the middle of the front page, or a message sent to the registration emails of all users?

mitchell porter said:
Deletion is forever, it's the direst thing a system administrator can do to your data. Wouldn't a more prominent form of announcement be warranted, like a flaming fireball in the middle of the front page, or a message sent to the registration emails of all users?

Indeed, I apologize for your inconvenience

Evo said:
Could have been just really bad timing. I saw it all the time, you might have looked each time that it got displaced with another post.

Displaced with another post? New posts returns every post that's had an update since my last visit - I get hundreds of results back. I go through the 'New Posts' front to back almost daily since as long as I can remember.

Evo said:
Maybe people you exchanged pm's with made copies?
It's no biggie data-wise for me. I just wonder how it is even possible I could have missed the post. It makes me suspicious that somehow 'New Posts' is not as unilateral as I thought. (And that it will happen again with any other Announcement)

mitchell porter said:

Same thing here - I did not suspect that important news would remain hidden in a forum thread near the bottom. :uhh:

Hehe mitchell's "flaming fireball in the middle of the front page" would have been effective for me! :rofl:

DaveC, do you remeber what you wrote in a PM to me on Dec. 16th, 2008 ? I vaguely remember it was about the men behind JFK's murder...

Just for the record, I wish to separate myself from those who are critical of how it was done. I'm not complaining. :wink:

I am simply concerned with how I can do something different next time.

dextercioby said:
DaveC, do you remeber what you wrote in a PM to me on Dec. 16th, 2008 ? I vaguely remember it was about the men behind JFK's murder...

I can't imagine having anything to say about JFK's murder, being neither American, nor politically-inclined (nor - not to put too fine a point on it - alive in 1963). Though I'm always up for a good debate on any subject whether or not I know much about it.:tongue2:

flexgunship said:
incidentally, after the wipe, how many threads do you think will be started with a title like: "all of my pms are gone."

mitchell porter said:

DaveC426913 said:

mitchell porter said:

DaveC426913 said:
Just for the record, I wish to separate myself from those who are critical of how it was done. I'm not complaining. :wink:

I am simply concerned with how I can do something different next time.

Arthur Dent and Mr. Prosser by way of Douglas Adams said:
"But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."
"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."
"But the plans were on display ..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

Flex, obviously you think posting announcements in a section titled...um...announcements, is not the right place. Where do you think a better place would be?

Vanadium 50 said:
Flex, obviously you think posting announcements in a section titled...um...announcements, is not the right place. Where do you think a better place would be?
I don't believe he was being critical. I think he was trying to inject a bit of humor.

but then with Flex, we never really know, do we? :uhh:

One problem that has not been mentioned and could not be avoided, is for those users who logon infrequently. Say, every few month or two. These are the type of people who probably don't check their registered with e-mail accounts either, so if Greg were to send those users a heads up to the personal e-mails, it would have fallen on deaf ears as well.

Thanks, Dave, for starting this thread, it gives everyone a chance to vent...

Rhody...

Vanadium 50 said:

The illustration of the Hitchhiker's guide is better than that: The announcements section here is hidden at the bottom of my browser page, a far scroll away from the part that I usually see. Thus, in the cellar so to say. Only the stairs (the scrolling option to get there) were still available.

It wasn't much "illuminated" either: even if I had looked once for a second at that part and (by chance) seen "PMs/VMs scheduled for global wipe", it might have not reached my consciousness that perhaps it wasn't an unimportant feedback but an important announcement, and that all personal messages would be suddenly destroyed. Indeed it would have taken me possibly more than that interval of time to guess that PM doesn't mean Person Month or Prime Minister or ... or ... but Personal Messages. :rolleyes:

harrylin said:
Moreover, it wasn't much "illuminated" either: even if I had looked once for a second at that part and (by chance) seen "PMs/VMs scheduled for global wipe", it might have not reached my consciousness that perhaps it wasn't an unimportant feedback but an important announcement, and that all personal messages would be suddenly destroyed. Indeed it would have taken me possibly more than that interval of time to guess that PM doesn't mean Person Month or Prime Minister or ... or ... but Personal Messages. :rolleyes:

That's a good point, I should have been more clear.

Greg Bernhardt said:
That's a good point, I should have been more clear.

Wow, did you just write above everything:
"Impromptu PF Chat Event!" ?

Now THAT certainly does the trick :smile: :smile: :tongue2:

Vanadium 50 said:

Wait, what? I was just making a joke. It's Hitchihker's. I haven't complained a bit. In fact, I posted in the previous thread (the one warning of the PM/VM deletion) wondering how many people would miss such an obvious announcement.

Everyone seems to have very large toes lately... either that or I have become quite adept at stepping on them without realizing it.

I'm just going to cower in this corner over here.

FlexGunship said:
Wait, what? I was just making a joke. It's Hitchihker's. I haven't complained a bit. In fact, I posted in the previous thread (the one warning of the PM/VM deletion) wondering how many people would miss such an obvious announcement.

Everyone seems to have very large toes lately... either that or I have become quite adept at stepping on them without realizing it.

I'm just going to cower in this corner over here.

I took it as humor. So did Evo.

harrylin said:
... "PMs/VMs scheduled for global wipe" ... Prime Minister ...
WORLD DISASTER!
Evil mastermind strikes! Prime Ministers wiped out across the globe! Governments in turmoil!

:biggrin:

Argh! Now I'm going to have to ask Woolie for his new address, a SECOND TIME.

I have a neurological disorder* that makes it very uncomfortable for me to have to repeat myself. Would it be too much for me to ask the forum admin that they review the "American's with Disabilities Act", and/or perhaps send me a PM before they do this again?

*I don't know what that disorder is called, but I'm sure someone could make something up.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Argh! Now I'm going to have to ask Woolie for his new address, a SECOND TIME.

I have a neurological disorder* that makes it very uncomfortable for me to have to repeat myself. Would it be too much for me to ask the forum admin that they review the "American's with Disabilities Act", and/or perhaps send me a PM before they do this again?

*I don't know what that disorder is called, but I'm sure someone could make something up.

Oops. Never mind. I see that I wrote it down immediately after he sent it. :blushing:

:cry:

First I was afraid, I was petrified, kept thinking I could never live without my old PMs by my side, but then I spent so many posts thinking how they occupied me wrong, and I grew strong, and I learned how to carry on, and so you're backuped, from outer space (:bugeye:), I just logged into find you here with that mad look on your interface, I should have changed my stupid name, I should have made you leave your ctrl key, If I had known for just one second, you'd be backuped to bother me.

Go on now go, walk out the door, just turn around now, 'cause you're not welcome anymore, weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye, you think I'd crumble, you think I'd lay down and die, oh no not I, I will survive, as long as I know how to login, I know I will stay online, I've got all my life to live, I've got all my post to give, and I'll survive, I will survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBR2G-iI3-I

devilsavocado said:

First i was afraid, i was petrified, kept thinking i could never live without my old pms by my side, but then i spent so many posts thinking how they occupied me wrong, and i grew strong, and i learned how to carry on, and so you're backuped, from outer space (:bugeye:), i just logged into find you here with that mad look on your interface, i should have changed my stupid name, i should have made you leave your ctrl key, if i had known for just one second, you'd be backuped to bother me.

Go on now go, walk out the door, just turn around now, 'cause you're not welcome anymore, weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye, you think i'd crumble, you think i'd lay down and die, oh no not i, i will survive, as long as i know how to login, i know i will stay online, I've got all my life to live, I've got all my post to give, and i'll survive, i will survive.

zbr2g-ii3-i[/youtube][/quote] lololololol!

DevilsAvocado said:

First I was afraid, I was petrified, kept thinking I could never live without my old PMs by my side, but then I spent so many posts thinking how they occupied me wrong, and I grew strong, and I learned how to carry on, and so you're backuped, from outer space (:bugeye:), I just logged into find you here with that mad look on your interface, I should have changed my stupid name, I should have made you leave your ctrl key, If I had known for just one second, you'd be backuped to bother me.

Go on now go, walk out the door, just turn around now, 'cause you're not welcome anymore, weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye, you think I'd crumble, you think I'd lay down and die, oh no not I, I will survive, as long as I know how to login, I know I will stay online, I've got all my life to live, I've got all my post to give, and I'll survive, I will survive.
Niiiiiice. Full points awarded.

(Also, you have too much free time.)

Thanks guys :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Indeed, I apologize for your inconvenience

Maybe, next time, all of us could be sent a mass PM informing us of the wipe?

For the record, I like my message box clean anyway. :p

Actually, the whole thing is my fault. I got the warning and saved my messages. However, I only came upon the announcement by chance. That seemed odd to me so I intended to send Greg a message encouraging him to email everyone about it, but I forgot to do so. Sorry.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Actually, the whole thing is my fault. I got the warning and saved my messages. However, I only came upon the announcement by chance. That seemed odd to me so I intended to send Greg a message encouraging him to email everyone about it, but I forgot to do so. Sorry.

This one's too subtle Jimmy. Can you spell out the punchline for me? :biggrin:

1. What could have caused my PMs to suddenly disappear?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be a technical issue with the messaging platform, a glitch in the system, or a problem with your internet connection. It is also possible that the messages were accidentally deleted or moved to a different folder.

2. Is there any way to retrieve the lost PMs?

If the messages were accidentally deleted, there may be a chance to retrieve them from the trash or recycle bin. If they were moved to a different folder, you can try searching for them using keywords or the sender's name. However, if it was a technical issue, it may not be possible to retrieve the lost PMs.

3. Can someone else delete my PMs without my knowledge?

If you have given someone else access to your account or if you have shared your login information, it is possible for them to delete your PMs. It is important to keep your account secure and not share your login information with anyone.

4. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent your PMs from disappearing in the future, make sure to regularly back up your messages. You can also check for any updates or bug fixes for the messaging platform and keep your internet connection stable.

5. Should I contact customer support for help?

If you have tried all the above solutions and still cannot find your missing PMs, it may be worth contacting customer support for assistance. They may be able to provide further insight or help retrieve the lost messages.