Why am I not listed as a member on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter skylark53
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user who is not listed as a member on Physics Forums, despite having made two posts. They are trying to find out why and how to fix it. Other users suggest that the member list may not be automatic and that it may take time for new members to appear on it. One user also explains that the list only shows members who have made at least five posts outside of the "PF Lounge" section. The conversation then shifts to discussing the meaning of being listed as a member and the difficulty of navigating the site for new users.
skylark53
I am not listed as a member, although I have made 2 posts. Anyone know of an explanation for this, and how to fix it? I've searched this forum for help but failed to find any info.

This is the page I should appear on, but don't:

https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?&order=asc&sort=username&page=1033

Neither does another name I often use on forums (skylark). When I tried to register here I was told it belonged to someone else. An invisible person, clearly.

Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I definitely remember a "Skylark" who isn't you. He was here not long ago, and had hundreds or even thousands of posts.
The only thing that I can think of is that the member list might not be an automatic function of the site. (The alphabetical list sure isn't.) If that's the case, someone in Administration has to spend a great deal of time manually entering the information. People are very busy these days, and such a thing is not a priority.
My advice is to keep posting and people wil come to recognize you whether or not you show up on any lists.

Last edited:
Just because you don't show up in that list doesn't mean you aren't a member. There are many people who register with PhysicsForums but never make any posts that count (posts outside of the PF Lounge). To keep the list of members down to a somewhat reasonable size, the list does not show users who have made less than five such posts.

Thanks, DH! Got to get to 5 posts, then. Not sure I can edit the subject line to say 'solved' but I will try.

Thanks to Danger, too (remind me not to fly with you *-}) - the Skylark riddle has an explanation too.

skylark53 said:
Thanks to Danger, too (remind me not to fly with you *-})

You know, you're the 2nd or possibly 3rd person in the history of PF who understood my signature without having it explained. I must assume, therefore, that Skylark refers to the Cessna as opposed to the bird. So, must I try to figure out the riddle, or will you just PM me the solution. (Keep in mind that I'm both old and intoxicated, so solving things isn't my forte.)
People sometimes ask me where I get my ideas for humourous comments. One just occurred a minute ago. I made a potentially embarrassing typo, which I caught in my initial checklist. It jumped out at me as something that I should perhaps try to copyright (which would be a waste of time and money, since Greg owns everything that I post on PF).
Anyhow, I type like a demon, but sometimes transpose things with similar finger movement from one hand to the other due to being ambidextrous. One of my major "oops" things is typing "d's" instead of "k's" and verse visa. So... I noticed in checking the foregoing paragraph that I had typed "Skylard". That immediately brought to mind the saying "If pigs could fly..."; would that be an appropriate term for them?

Danger said:
So... I noticed in checking the foregoing paragraph that I had typed "Skylard". That immediately brought to mind the saying "If pigs could fly..."; would that be an appropriate term for them?

Sounds light and airy for cooking. Of course, if pigs could fly, our reality would shift dramatically. Think of all the "if pigs could fly" syllogisms that have been labeled as true.

PAllen said:
Sounds light and airy for cooking. Of course, if pigs could fly, our reality would shift dramatically. Think of all the "if pigs could fly" syllogisms that have been labeled as true.

If pigs could fly, umbrella makers would rule the world.

gneill said:
If pigs could fly, umbrella makers would rule the world.

I wonder how long it would take the Japanese to abandon their paper parasols. :devil:

Danger said:
verse visa
:tongue2:
verse visa --> vice versa

For those who are new here, what does it mean to be listed as a "member"?

Maybe I'll find out after I post this, which will be my first post, although not my first attempt at a post... does anyone else find this site difficult for new users?

You are a member because you have registered and can post here.

As noted in an earlier post in this thread, you will appear in the list of members (https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php ) only after you have made at least five posts outside of the "PF Lounge" section. This has no effect on your actual status here. It's just a way to keep the displayed list to a manageable size.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why am I not listed as a member?

There could be several reasons for this. It's possible that your membership application is still being processed, or that there was an error in the application process. It's also possible that you did not meet the qualifications for membership. Please contact the organization's membership department for more information.

2. Can I still participate in the organization's events if I am not listed as a member?

It depends on the specific rules and regulations of the organization. Some events may be open to non-members, while others may require membership. It's best to check with the organization or event organizers for more information.

3. How long does it take to be listed as a member?

The time frame can vary depending on the organization and their processing procedures. It's best to contact the organization's membership department for an estimated time frame.

4. Is there a fee for being listed as a member?

Again, this can vary depending on the organization. Some may have a membership fee, while others may have a one-time application fee. It's best to check with the organization for their specific fees and payment policies.

5. Can I appeal the decision if I am not listed as a member?

It depends on the organization's policies and procedures. Some may have an appeal process in place, while others may not. It's best to contact the organization for more information on their specific appeal process.