Pulley system: 2 pulleys and 3 mass

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of mass m1 in a system involving a friction-less rope, a fixed pulley, and two masses, M1 and M2. The attempt at a solution involves finding the tension and acceleration in the rope attached to the fixed pulley, but does not take into account the masses m1 and m2. To account for these masses, one can either add 2xT2 to the force contributed by M2 in the M1/M2 subsystem, or start with the M2 subsystem and account for the effect of its acceleration on the overall system.
alaix

Homework Statement

Note: My textbook and first language is french, I am sorry if I mistranslated some terms.

A friction-less rope goes around the fix pulley A. At one side of the rope, there is a mass M1. On the other side, there is a pulley of mass M2. Another friction-less rope goes around that second pulley. Mass m1 and m2 are at the extremeties. Show that the acceleration of mass m1 is given by:

[itex]\frac{3*m2*M2-m1*M1-m1*M2-m2*M1-4*m1*m2}{(m2+m1)*(M1+M2)+4*m1*m2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum F = ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[URL]http://imgur.com/1OzYU[/URL]

For the first part, where we take The pulley M2 and the mass M1:
M1*a = M1*g-T where T is the tension
-(M2+m1+m2)a = (M2+m1+m2)g - T

T = M1g-M1a

a = [itex]\frac{-(M1-M2-m1-m2)}{M1+M2+m1+m2} g[/itex]

Then I take the second part separately:

m2a = m2g -T2 where T2 is the tension in that second rope
-m1a = m1g - T2

T2 = m2g-m2a

a = [itex]\frac{m2-m1}{m2+m1} g[/itex]

Then I add both acceleration to have the total acceleration of m1

[itex]a_{total} = (\frac{m2-m1}{m2+m1} - \frac{M1-M2-m1-m2}{M1+M2+m1+m2}) g [/itex]

I tried to put both fractions on same denumerator both my answer =/= to the answer I should get...

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,191
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You start by finding the tension and acceleration for the rope on the fixed pulley, but you're only taking into account masses M1 and M2. Masses m1 and m2 will have some effect, too.

You can take their effect into account by adding 2xT2 to the force that M2 is contributing to the M1/M2 subsystem, or you can start with the M2 subsystem instead, where M2 is assumed to be accelerating with some as yet unknown acceleration a. Note that this 'a' will affect the whole m1/M2/m1 subsystem -- in effect it alters the 'g' that it is working with...

1. How does a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses work?

A pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses works by using two fixed pulleys and one movable pulley to change the direction of the applied force. The force is distributed evenly among the three masses, making it easier to lift the load.

2. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses is 3, meaning that the load can be lifted with one-third of the force that would be required without the pulley system.

3. Can a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses be used to lift objects vertically?

Yes, a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses can be used to lift objects vertically. The movable pulley allows for upward movement, while the fixed pulleys keep the system stable.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses?

The efficiency of a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses can be affected by factors such as the friction in the pulleys, the weight of the masses, and the angle at which the rope is pulled.

5. Can a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses be used to multiply force?

Yes, a pulley system with 2 pulleys and 3 masses can be used to multiply the force. As mentioned earlier, the mechanical advantage of this system is 3, meaning that the force applied is multiplied by 3 to lift the load.