Install Latex to Mirror Microsoft Word Equation Editor 2007-2011

In summary, Latex may seem difficult at first, but with practice and online resources, it can be learned and used efficiently. Additionally, there are programs available such as TexAide and MathType that can make the process even easier.
Unto
It takes longer to write out a question and your working, than it does to even get a reply.. And that reply either never comes or is something along the lines of 'I can't tell what you've done'.

Latex is so harsh to use, is it possible to install something to mirror microsoft word equation editor 2007 - 2011 ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Unto said:
Latex is so harsh to use

Before I learned latex, I thought the same way. However, just tinker around with it and you'll find that it's not that bad. There are plenty of tutorials to help you learn it.

In the text editor while making your post there should be a [itex]\Sigma[/itex] button. If you click that button, you will get a handy LaTeX reference library.

LaTeX just takes time and practice. Once you learn it it is much easier to use than Word's equation editor. It is also worth learning because LaTeX is the industry standard for generating equations.

G01 said:
In the text editor while making your post there should be a [itex]\Sigma[/itex] button. If you click that button, you will get a handy LaTeX reference library.

LaTeX just takes time and practice. Once you learn it it is much easier to use than Word's equation editor. It is also worth learning because LaTeX is the industry standard for generating equations.
PF's Latex editor is pretty close to how MS Equation works.

It's a good idea to use a text editor outside of PF, or copy and paste the post into a text editor to save it.

A program was available a few years ago called, TexAide. It might be unavailable now, but you can try a web search for it. TexAide was a mathematical typesetting program from which you could copy from the program and paste directly into a message on physicsforums. All you needed to do after that was supply the tags around the information (the [tex] and the [./.tex] tags but without the two dots).

symbolipoint said:
A program was available a few years ago called, TexAide. It might be unavailable now, but you can try a web search for it. TexAide was a mathematical typesetting program from which you could copy from the program and paste directly into a message on physicsforums. All you needed to do after that was supply the tags around the information (the [tex] and the [./.tex] tags but without the two dots).

It was replaced with MathType which isn't free :( Epic sadface. I had saved the texaide install for the longest time just because I knew I didn't want to deal with paying for MathType

Do you still have it? I want to become a more active contributing member of this forum, but Latex is firmly staunching my progress :( Of course I will learn, I just don't understand why it needs to be so complicated and at certain times 'clunky' to use :(

in practice. you can do nearly everything by using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box, and by clicking on the symbols (such as ∫) just to the right of the Reply box (not visible in this feedback forum, btw) :smile:

Some interesting programs are listed, including possible other mathematical typeset programs, here: http://homepage2.nifty.com/tonomu/soft/softe.html

After beginning to check that site a bit, it seems some TeX type programs shown are either for pay or not available. Still might be an interesting site to check.

Unto said:
It takes longer to write out a question and your working, than it does to even get a reply.. And that reply either never comes or is something along the lines of 'I can't tell what you've done'.

Latex is so harsh to use, is it possible to install something to mirror microsoft word equation editor 2007 - 2011 ?
I don't agree with this. It only takes a few minutes to get started with LaTeX, and if you spend an hour practicing, you can probably learn 95% of what you need. Most of the time when you don't know the right code, you can google it and find your answer almost immediately.

1. How do I install Latex to mirror Microsoft Word Equation Editor 2007-2011?

To install Latex and mirror the Microsoft Word Equation Editor 2007-2011, you will need to first download and install a Latex distribution, such as MikTeX or TeX Live. Then, you will need to download and install a Latex-to-Word converter, such as Tex2Word or GrindEQ. Once these are installed, you will be able to use Latex commands in your Microsoft Word equations.

2. Can I still use the Microsoft Word Equation Editor after installing Latex?

Yes, you can still use the Microsoft Word Equation Editor after installing Latex. However, you will need to use Latex commands to create equations instead of the built-in equation editor. Alternatively, you can also copy and paste Latex code into the equation editor to create equations.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge of Latex to use it with Microsoft Word Equation Editor 2007-2011?

Yes, some prior knowledge of Latex is recommended in order to use it with the Microsoft Word Equation Editor 2007-2011. You will need to be familiar with Latex commands and syntax in order to create equations. There are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn Latex.

4. Are there any limitations to using Latex with the Microsoft Word Equation Editor?

Yes, there may be some limitations when using Latex with the Microsoft Word Equation Editor. Some more complex equations or symbols may not be fully supported by the Latex-to-Word converter, and may require manual editing. It is recommended to test your equations before using them in a formal document.

5. Can I use Latex to mirror the Microsoft Word Equation Editor on any operating system?

Yes, Latex can be used to mirror the Microsoft Word Equation Editor on any operating system, as long as you have a Latex distribution and a Latex-to-Word converter installed. However, the installation process may vary slightly depending on your operating system. It is recommended to follow the specific installation instructions for your operating system.