Optimizing Forum Post Display: Finding the Ideal Posts Per Page Setting

• Bug
  • Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, the Thread Display Options section has two options for the picklist - "Use Forum Default" and "Show Posts Per Page". However, the second option was recently changed from "Show 20 Posts Per Page" to just "Show Posts Per Page", resulting in everyone using the forum default. This change may have been made to ease the burden on the server by displaying fewer messages per page. While this may mean having to load more pages to see previous posts, it is a more efficient use of resources as most people only want to see new posts. Generally, a display of 10 to 15 posts per page is sufficient.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the Thread Display Options section, the picklist has two options - "Use Forum Default" and "Show Posts Per Page". The second option used to say "Show 20 Posts Per Page". Because of the missing number, everyone has the forum default now. 20 was working yesterday.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have to wait for Greg to comment - I would guess he changed it to ease the burden on the server. Lower number of the messages displayed means less database work.

Borek said:
We have to wait for Greg to comment - I would guess he changed it to ease the burden on the server. Lower number of the messages displayed means less database work.
Thanks Borek. I guess I'll have to load more pages to see all the previous posts. :wink:

Borg said:
I guess I'll have to load more pages to see all the previous posts. :wink:

Yes - but most people want to see just the new posts, so displaying more than just a few is a waste of resources.

I know a forum where only four posts are displayed per page - that's a nonsense if you ask me. 10 to 15 is usually enough.

1. What does the "Posts per page" setting do?

The "Posts per page" setting allows you to control the number of posts that are displayed on a single page of your website or blog. This setting is useful for managing the amount of content that is shown to your readers at one time.

2. Why is my "Posts per page" setting not working?

There could be a few reasons why your "Posts per page" setting is not working. One possibility is that there is a code error or conflict with another plugin or theme on your website. It is also possible that your setting is not configured correctly. Checking your settings and troubleshooting any potential issues can help resolve this problem.

3. How can I change the "Posts per page" setting?

To change the "Posts per page" setting, you will need to access your website's admin dashboard and navigate to the settings for your blog or posts. From there, you should be able to adjust the number of posts that are displayed on a single page. Make sure to save your changes for them to take effect.

4. What is the recommended number of posts per page?

The recommended number of posts per page can vary depending on your website's design and content. However, it is generally recommended to keep the number between 5-10 posts per page. This ensures that your page does not become too cluttered and overwhelming for readers.

5. Will changing the "Posts per page" setting affect my website's performance?

Changing the "Posts per page" setting should not significantly impact your website's performance. However, if you have a large number of posts on a single page, it can slow down the page's loading time. It is essential to find a balance between the number of posts per page and your website's performance.