What is the Calculation for Mass?

• Thread starter blackvise43
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for calculating mass, including using equations and measuring with a scale. It also mentions using density and volume to calculate mass. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of understanding the concept of mass and its units of measurement.
blackvise43
Is it length * width?? I need to know asap

Physics news on Phys.org
Length times width is area. What exactly are you trying to do?

It really depends on what other information you have available to you.
i.e.
-if you know an objects density and volume you can calculate its mass
-if you know an objects acceleration and force applied you can calculate its mass
etc etc.
What information do you have?

E = mc²
F=ma
[tex] F=\frac{d}{dt}(mv) [/tex]
F=mg
[tex] a=\frac{M}{m}g [/tex]

here are some equations in which mass is involved... maybe one you could use to solve for mass for your particular problem

I have the object I am in 10th grade and I'm in intro to physics and it told me to calculate the mass... umm its for a car we had to make and I am suppose to find certain calculations, I am new to this stuff... I need to know soon please its due tomorrow. :smile:

Last edited:
blackvise43 said:
I have the object I am in 10th grade and I'm in intro to physics and it told me to calculate the mass... umm its for a car we had to make and I am suppose to find certain calculations, I am new to this stuff... I need to know soon please its due tomorrow. :smile:

Get a scale that shows kilograms/grams. 'Weigh' your car. The reading will be the mass.
If your scale doesn't show kilograms/grams but pounds or ounces, then simply convert your value to metric. www.onlineconversion.com is a good source.

Ok thank you very much.

Well, if it told you to 'calculate' its mass, then 'measuring' it would be cheating.

If you know what you made the car out of, you can look up the densities of the materials it's made from.

If you know the dimensions of the car, you can calculate the volume of the components. (For a cuboid, volume is base * width * height.)

If I tell you that density = mass / volume, then you might be able to get cracking!

Mass is a measure of how much matter an object is made of. It is measured in kilograms. Mass is sometimes written in italics when it is the unit that is being written about. Examples: The mass of the Earth is 5.972 x 10^24 kilograms. The mass of the Sun is 2.0 x 10^30 kilograms. The mass of a helium atom is 4.3 x 10^-24 kilograms. The mass of a neutron is 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms. The mass of an electron is 9.109 x 10^-31 kilograms. The mass of a proton is 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms. The mass of a neutron is 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms.

What is mass and how is it defined?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object or substance. It is a fundamental property of physical objects and is not affected by gravity, making it different from weight. Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

How can you calculate the mass of an object using a balance?

The most common way to calculate the mass of an object is by using a balance or scale. By placing the object on the balance, the scale measures the force exerted by the object due to gravity and converts it into mass, considering the local gravitational pull.

Can mass be determined through volume and density?

Yes, mass can be calculated if the volume and density of an object are known. The formula used is Mass = Density × Volume. This method is particularly useful in chemistry for determining the mass of a liquid or gas.

Is there a way to calculate mass using Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Yes, Newton's Second Law of Motion states that Force = Mass × Acceleration (F = ma). If the force exerted on an object and its acceleration are known, the mass can be calculated by rearranging the formula to Mass = Force / Acceleration.

How do you measure the mass of a gas?

The mass of a gas can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law, which is PV = nRT (where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature). By rearranging this formula to solve for n and multiplying it by the molar mass of the gas, you can find its mass.

Can the mass of an object change?

The mass of an object remains constant unless it undergoes a physical or chemical change. Mass is a conserved quantity, meaning it does not change during chemical reactions or physical transformations in a closed system.

Are mass and weight the same?

No, mass and weight are different. Mass is the amount of matter in an object and is constant regardless of location. Weight, on the other hand, is the force exerted by the gravitational pull on the mass of the object and can vary depending on the location (for example, on Earth versus the Moon).