Question on torue(center of mass being important I think)

In summary, the question is asking for the torque of the system with two weights hanging from a meter stick on a stand, where the pivot point is not the center of mass. The other forces acting on the system need to be determined, and then the torque values of all components can be added together to find the overall torque. The mass of the meter stick is given as 0.0836 kg and the distances involved are 50.1 cm and 30.0 cm. The torque can be calculated by multiplying the force by the radius, and the system is not in static equilibrium as it is not touching the floor.
Crusaderking1
Question on torque(center of mass being important I think)

Homework Statement

I have a lab report due tomorrow, and I have it all done except one calculation, but it confuses me.

The center of mass on my meter stick on a stand is 50.1 cm, or .501 meters.

For part B, we changed the pivot point to 30.0 cm(not the center of mass), or .300 meters. then with 3 mass hanging by a rope are added. I understand that torque is force times radius.

The question is what OTHER forces are acting on the system besides the weights we added on, and then find the torque, mass, radius, and distance.

I suppose this is referring to the force of gravity *mass of meter stick with the distance being .501 - .300 = .201 meters. The torque would then be .164675 Nm. Is this right?

Please help. Thanks.

Homework Equations

sine = 1
radius * force = torque

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you didn't give any masses. you should also probably be considering the moment of inertia of the meter stick.

Pythagorean said:
you didn't give any masses. you should also probably be considering the moment of inertia of the meter stick.

Sorry, the mass of the meter stick is 0.0836 kg.

Well, I don't understand how inertia would tie in with finding the torque of the other forces besides the weights on the tension.

Wouldn't it just be mass of meter stick, the distance between the pivot and the center of mass, then to find the force, just 0.0836 kg * 9.8 m/s^2, and then torque is radius*force?

Hrmm... that means... is the system in equilibrium (no motion and not sitting with one end touching the floor)? If so, wouldn't the torque on either side of the fulcrum be the same?

Pythagorean said:
Hrmm... that means... is the system in equilibrium (no motion and not sitting with one end touching the floor)? If so, wouldn't the torque on either side of the fulcrum be the same?

its not in static equilibrium, but its not touching the floor because the ruler is on a stand.

I'm suppose to find the "other forces"(not the weights I added) before I calculate the static equilibrium.

So I need the torque value 1 + torque value 2 + other forces.
There are two weights on the system. The center of mass is not the pivot point.
This would be torque 0.309 + -0.434 + (other forces) <===this is where i need help.

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. Why is the center of mass important in torque?

The center of mass is the point in an object where the weight is evenly distributed. In torque calculations, the center of mass is important because it affects the distance from the axis of rotation, which is a crucial factor in determining the magnitude of the torque.

3. How does the location of the center of mass affect torque?

The location of the center of mass affects torque because the farther the center of mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the torque will be. This is because the lever arm, or distance from the axis of rotation, is longer.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. In cases where an object has an irregular shape or distribution of mass, the center of mass may be located outside of the physical boundaries of the object.

5. How is torque important in everyday life?

Torque is important in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, using a wrench, or riding a bike. It is also crucial in understanding the stability and balance of structures, such as buildings and bridges.