Maximum Intensity Between Dark Fringes, Diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum number of totally dark fringes, the angle of the most distant dark fringe, and the maximum intensity of the bright fringe immediately before the distant dark fringe. The equations used are sinθ = mλ/a, Intensity = I0(sin(π*(a/λ) *sin(θ)))^2, and Intensity = Io/((m+.5)^2 + π^2). The issue with the calculations was due to using degrees instead of radians.
JackFlash

Homework Statement

Laser light of wavelength 632.8 nm falls normally on a slit that is 0.0210 mm wide. The transmitted light is viewed on a distant screen where the intensity at the center of the central bright fringe is 8.50 W/m2.

a) Find the maximum number of totally dark fringes on the screen, assuming the screen is large enough to show them all.

b) At what angle does the dark fringe that is most distant from the center occur?

c) What is the maximum intensity of the bright fringe that occurs immediately before the dark fringe in part (b)? Approximate the angle at which this fringe occurs by assuming it is midway between the angles to the dark fringes on either side of it.

Homework Equations

sinθ = mλ/a
Intensity = I0([itex]\frac{sin(πa*sin(θ)/λ)}{πa*sin(θ)/λ}[/itex])2
Intensity = [itex]\frac{Io}{((m+.5)^2 + π^2)}[/itex]

where
m = a number based on the fringe
λ = wavelength
a = distance between the slits
π = a delicious dessert of varying flavors, and 3.14159

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first two solutions (66 and 83.9° respectively) with some ease. The last one is what is grinding my gears.

I've calculated the angle between the two dark fringes at the end, m=33 and m=32, and got 83.9335° and 74.63699° respectively. I got the angle between them, 79.29°, by taking the average. I plug it into the first equation for intensity and I get a wrong answer. I try using m=32.5, which would be the bright fringe the question refers to, in the second equation for intensity and still no luck. It might not seem like I've tried at all on this question, but I have run through several different combinations (using different values for m to get an angle, then plugging into the second equation or just using m in the third). The solution is 7.21*10-4, which is about .6*10-4 less than all the solutions I've gotten.

I've a suspicion I may be using the wrong m (32.5) or I'm doing something else odd. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you get π*(a/λ) *sin(θ) it is in radians, not degrees. Check if you use "RAD" when calculating sin(π*(a/λ) *sin(θ)) in the numerator of intensity. .

ehild

Ah yes. Radians. That was the issue.
That always seems the case. Radians is a reoccuring enemy of mine. Thanks.

You are welcome and take care. Do not let you beat by the radians. :smile:

ehild

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. Based on the information provided, it seems like you have correctly solved for parts (a) and (b). For part (c), you are on the right track. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, for the maximum intensity at the bright fringe, you need to use the equation for intensity in terms of m, rather than the one in terms of θ. This is because the question is asking for the intensity at a specific fringe (m = 32.5), not at a specific angle (θ = 79.29°). So you need to use the equation:

Intensity = (I0/((m+0.5)^2 + π^2))

Second, when using this equation, you need to take into account the fact that this is the intensity at a specific fringe (m = 32.5), but the equation is for the intensity at any fringe. So you need to use the value of m that corresponds to the fringe just before the one you are interested in (m = 32 in this case). This is because the intensity at a given fringe is affected by the fringes on either side of it.

So the correct equation to use would be:

Intensity = (I0/((m+0.5)^2 + π^2)) where m = 32

Now, using this equation, you can solve for the maximum intensity at the bright fringe immediately before the dark fringe at m = 32.5. This should give you the correct answer of 7.21*10^-4.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Best,

1. What is meant by "maximum intensity between dark fringes" in diffraction?

In diffraction, light waves passing through a narrow slit or aperture create a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen. The maximum intensity between dark fringes refers to the point on the screen where the light waves interfere constructively, resulting in a bright spot.

2. How is the maximum intensity between dark fringes calculated?

The maximum intensity between dark fringes can be calculated using the formula I = I0sin2(θ)/sin2(Nθ/2), where I0 is the intensity at the center of the pattern, θ is the angle between the center of the pattern and the point of interest, and N is the number of slits or apertures.

3. Why is the maximum intensity between dark fringes important in diffraction?

The maximum intensity between dark fringes provides information about the diffraction pattern and can be used to determine the size of the slit or aperture. It also helps to understand the nature of light as a wave and the principles of interference and diffraction.

4. How does the width of the slit or aperture affect the maximum intensity between dark fringes?

The width of the slit or aperture affects the maximum intensity between dark fringes by changing the diffraction pattern. A narrower slit or aperture will result in a wider distance between the dark fringes and a sharper, narrower peak at the maximum intensity. A wider slit or aperture will have a broader, less defined peak at the maximum intensity.

5. Can the maximum intensity between dark fringes be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the maximum intensity between dark fringes can be observed in everyday life. For example, when light passes through the holes of a colander, the pattern of bright and dark spots on a surface behind the colander is due to diffraction, and the maximum intensity between dark fringes can be seen at the center of the bright spots.