Polyatomic Ions: Formation & Reactions

• Thread starter seashells
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, the formation of polyatomic ions is not a simple process and can vary depending on the specific ion being formed. Acetate, for example, can be produced through different reactions such as oxidation or addition of carbon monoxide to methanol.
seashells
Hello all,
I was reading about polyatomic ions for chem class, but in my textbook there was no description of how polyatomic ions are formed- it just states that they are a charged molecule. Are there any specific reactions that take place when a polyatomic ion is formed? For example, what reaction would produce acetate (CH3OO)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
seashells said:
Hello all,
I was reading about polyatomic ions for chem class, but in my textbook there was no description of how polyatomic ions are formed- it just states that they are a charged molecule. Are there any specific reactions that take place when a polyatomic ion is formed? For example, what reaction would produce acetate (CH3OO)?

The specific reactions are specific for the polyatomic ion in question. It is also possible that there is more than one pathway to go. Acetate can be produced by from ethanol or acetaldehyde by oxidation or by addition of carbon monoxide to methanol, for example.

What are polyatomic ions?

Polyatomic ions are charged particles that are composed of two or more atoms bonded together. These ions have an overall charge, which can be positive or negative, and are formed when atoms gain or lose electrons to achieve a stable electron configuration.

How are polyatomic ions formed?

Polyatomic ions are formed through the combination of atoms with covalent bonds, which are bonds formed by the sharing of electrons between atoms. This results in the formation of a molecule with an overall charge, known as a polyatomic ion.

What types of reactions involve polyatomic ions?

Polyatomic ions can participate in various types of reactions, including acid-base reactions, precipitation reactions, and redox reactions. These ions can act as either reactants or products in these reactions, depending on the specific reaction conditions.

How do polyatomic ions contribute to the properties of compounds?

The presence of polyatomic ions in a compound can greatly affect its properties, such as solubility and reactivity. The charge and structure of the polyatomic ion can determine how it interacts with other molecules, leading to different physical and chemical properties of the compound.

Can polyatomic ions exist on their own?

No, polyatomic ions cannot exist on their own as they are always associated with other atoms or molecules due to their charge. They can only exist as part of a larger compound or in a solution with other ions of opposite charge.