Is there a simpler way to calculate this limit?

• Thread starter chrisb93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a limit using L'Hospital's rule and finding a more efficient method to solve it. It is suggested to simplify the limit by factoring out a common factor and only considering the highest power of x. Another suggestion is to multiply by a fraction to simplify the expression. The correct answer, 16, is confirmed. It is also noted that using L'Hospital's rule 10 times may not be the most efficient method.
chrisb93

Homework Statement

[itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{(1 - 2x^3)^4}{(x^4 - x^3+1)^3}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not really applicable

The Attempt at a Solution

After applying L'Hospital's rule 3 times I could just see it getting untidy and I couldn't see my and mistakes in my working so I checked against WolframAlpha which showed that L'Hospital's rule is needed 10 times to get to the solution which seems like a lot of work for a small question. Is there a more efficient method for solving this limit that I'm unaware of?

EDIT: Sorry if this should've been in the pre calculus section, I wasn't sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the correct answer? Is it 16?

NascentOxygen said:
Do you know the correct answer? Is it 16?

Yes it is

Take the x3 factor out of the numerator, making it

(x3)4(1/x3 - 2)4

Follow the same procedure for the denominator.

Thanks so much, never thought of doing that to simplify limits.

Alternatively: Multiply by [itex]\ \frac{\displaystyle\ \frac{1}{x^{12}}\ }{\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^{12}}}\ .[/itex]

if you're taking the limit as it goes to infinity you can drop any constants and only keep the highest power of x about since as you go to infinity those are going to be insignificant
doing this to your equation gives
[tex]lim \frac{(-2)^4x^{12}}{x^{12}}=lim 16 = 16[/tex]

EDIT;
lol at wolframalpha applying L'hopitals rule 10 times

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value a function is approaching as the input approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the notation "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function at a certain point.

2. Why is it important to calculate limits?

Limits are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at certain points. They are also used to define important concepts in calculus such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

3. What is the traditional method for calculating limits?

The traditional method for calculating limits is to use algebraic manipulation and substitution to simplify the expression and then evaluate the function at the given point. This can be time-consuming and complex for more complicated functions.

4. Is there a simpler way to calculate limits?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for calculating limits that can be easier and more efficient than the traditional method. These include using graphical methods, L'Hopital's rule, and the squeeze theorem.

5. How do these alternative methods work?

Graphical methods involve plotting the function and visually determining the limit by observing the behavior of the graph. L'Hopital's rule is a technique for evaluating limits of indeterminate forms by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator. The squeeze theorem uses the properties of inequalities to determine the limit of a function. These methods can be helpful when the traditional method is too complex or yields an indeterminate form.