Cute Baby Fruit Bat Video | Awwww!

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: Three hours ago I watched 2 fruit bats flying around a big tree in my backyard looking for a place to hang from at dusk. We call them Flying Foxes and they are pretty cute.Around here, we have Little Brown Bats, and they are as cute as all get-out! I have put up bat-houses to encourage them to nest here, but they find their own way to shelter, and have never used the bat-houses. Still, they are quite common and very welcome. I can't bring myself to use any kind of chemical insecticides, so flying bug-eaters are major assets.Common Yellow-Throats are also favorites. They will patrol the tomato plants, pepper plants,
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just a cute video of a baby bat:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:

:!) so adorable!

It's going to grow up thinking it's human!

Math Is Hard said:
Awwwww! Sweet!

Rock a bye fruit bat... very cool rescue and video.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Evo's dog named Fruit Bat as well ?

Rhody... :cool: :approve:

zoobyshoe said:
It's going to grow up thinking it's human!

But maybe it will become a productive member of society.

rhody said:
Rock a bye fruit bat... very cool rescue and video.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Evo's dog named Fruit Bat as well ?

Rhody... :cool: :approve:

I think it's more of a nickname. :)

Around here, we have Little Brown Bats, and they are as cute as all get-out! I have put up bat-houses to encourage them to nest here, but they find their own way to shelter, and have never used the bat-houses. Still, they are quite common and very welcome. I can't bring myself to use any kind of chemical insecticides, so flying bug-eaters are major assets. Common Yellow-Throats are also favorites. They will patrol the tomato plants, pepper plants, etc, to get deep under the foliage and pick out all the bugs. They don't want man-made houses either, but they are very dedicated insectivores, and I love to see them around.

lisab said:
I loved that video :!)

Wow, I just realized I have never seen a picture of a bat that I didn't absolutely love!
They're wonderful little things and so important for insect control.

Bats are so cute! I love them for what they do for insect-control, but they are still so cute! I wish that I could make them bat-houses that they would like and would use. I've followed guidelines from naturalists, etc, to build them shelters, but they don't use them. They prefer to find their own shelter using the eaves of my log house, the garage, etc. I can't complain, because they are plentiful, and they can eat a LOT of bugs.

He rocks.

Three hours ago I watched 2 fruit bats flying around a big tree in my backyard looking for a place to hang from at dusk. We call them Flying Foxes and they are pretty cute.

But it is not a good idea to keep horses where they are if you live in Australia (let alone 100Klms from Hendra).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henipavirus
The timing of incidents indicates a seasonal pattern of outbreaks, possibly related to the breeding cycle of the little red flying-foxes. These species typically give birth between April and May.[14][15] As there is no evidence of transmission to humans directly from bats, it is thought that human infection only occurs via an intermediate host, a horse.
August 1994, Mackay, Queensland: Death of two horses and one person, Mark Preston.[10]
September 1994, Hendra, Queensland: 20 horses died or were euthanised. Two people infected, with one death, Victor Rail who was a nationally prominent trainer of racing horses.[8]
January 1999, Trinity Beach, Cairns, Queensland: Death of one horse.[16]
October 2004, Gordonvale, Cairns, Queensland: Death of one horse. A veterinarian involved in autopsy of the horse was infected with Hendra virus, and suffered a mild illness.[17]
December 2004, Townsville, Queensland: Death of one horse.[17]
June 2006, Peachester, Sunshine Coast, Queensland: Death of one horse.[17]
October 2006, Murwillumbah, New South Wales: Death of one horse.[18]
July 2007, Peachester, Sunshine Coast, Queensland: Infection of one horse (euthanised)
July 2007, Clifton Beach, Cairns, Queensland: Infection of one horse (euthanised).[19]
July 2008, Redlands, Brisbane, Queensland: Death of five horses; four died from the Henda virus, the remaining animal recovered but was euthanised because of a government policy that requires all animals with antibodies to be euthanised due to a potential threat to health. Two veterinary workers from the affected property were infected leading to the death of one, veterinary surgeon Ben Cuneen, on the 20th of August, 2008. The second veterinarian was hospitalized after pricking herself with a needle she had used to euthanize the horse that had recovered. A nurse exposed to the disease while assisting Cuneen in caring for the infected horses was also hospitalized.[20] The Biosecurity Queensland website indicates that 8 horses died during this event (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/4790_11112.htm , access 31 July 2011) however a review of the event indicates that five horses are confirmed to have died from HeV and three of the horses "are regarded as improbable cases of Hendra virus infection ...".[21]
July 2008, Proserpine, Queensland; Death of four horses.[22]
July 2009, Cawarral, Queensland: Death of four horses.[23] Queensland veterinary surgeon Alister Rodgers tested positive after treating the horses.[24] On September 1, 2009 after two weeks in a coma, he became the fourth person to die from exposure to the virus.[25]
September 2009, Bowen, Queensland. Death of two horses.[22]
May 2010, Tewantin, Queensland: Death of one horse.[26]
etc.
The virus spread map is interesting.

LaurieAG said:
The virus spread map is interesting.
Guess I'm not going to adopt any stray bats.

I came here expecting to see a picture of evo's dog...

But that youtube video is cute :redface:

1. What type of fruit bat is featured in the video?

The cute baby fruit bat in the video is a flying fox, which is a type of megabat found in many parts of the world.

2. Where was the video filmed?

The video was filmed in a wildlife sanctuary in Australia, where the bats are protected and cared for.

3. How old is the baby fruit bat in the video?

The exact age of the baby fruit bat is not mentioned in the video, but based on its size and behavior, it appears to be a few weeks old.

4. How do fruit bats help the ecosystem?

Fruit bats play an important role in pollination and seed dispersal, helping to maintain a healthy ecosystem and promote the growth of new plants.

5. Are fruit bats dangerous to humans?

No, fruit bats are not dangerous to humans. They primarily feed on fruits and nectar, and do not have a diet that includes blood or meat like some other types of bats. They also do not carry diseases that can be transmitted to humans.