Is it possible to convert heat to electricity using Peltier Module?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and efficiency of a chip that can convert waste heat into electricity, specifically a thermopile. It is also mentioned that these devices can be found in gas-powered appliances and can be purchased from hardware stores or salvaged from discarded water heaters. The voltage output is estimated to be around two volts.
pierr13
I need to know because i need a chip that is a conductor and absorbs heat then converts it to electricity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you have a gas powered appliance in your home you have suh a device. it's the "thermopile" that is in the pilot lihjy flame. it makes a small amount of power to hold the gas valve open vial a small electromagnet, and if pilot light goes out the gas supply is shut off.

you can get one from a hardware store or a discarded water heater to tinker with.
i don't remember the voltage they make but i doubt it's more than two volts.

Thank you for the response!

I was looking for the chip that can absorb waste heat from any conductors then convert it to electricity... I'm not very sure if it's the peltier module.

Your looking for a thermopile.

A thermopile looks kind of like a peltier plate. It's composed of an array of thermocouples that output electricity when they are exposed to heat.

1. Can a Peltier module generate electricity from any heat source?

Yes, a Peltier module can generate electricity from any heat source as long as there is a temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the module.

2. How does a Peltier module convert heat to electricity?

A Peltier module uses the Seebeck effect, which is the conversion of temperature differences into electricity. When a temperature gradient is applied across the module, it causes a flow of electrons from the hot side to the cold side, generating a voltage difference and producing electricity.

3. What is the efficiency of a Peltier module in converting heat to electricity?

The efficiency of a Peltier module in converting heat to electricity varies depending on factors such as the temperature difference, materials used, and design of the module. Generally, Peltier modules have an efficiency of 5-10%, which is lower than other methods of generating electricity from heat.

4. Can Peltier modules be used to power electronic devices?

Yes, Peltier modules can be used to power electronic devices, but they are not as efficient as traditional methods such as batteries or solar panels. They are often used in niche applications where a small amount of electricity is required and a temperature difference is already present, such as in thermoelectric coolers.

5. Are there any limitations to using Peltier modules to convert heat to electricity?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Peltier modules for this purpose. They are less efficient than other methods of generating electricity from heat, they are more expensive, and they have a limited temperature range in which they can operate effectively. They are also sensitive to high temperatures and can be damaged if not properly cooled.