Charging a computer: power adapter output

In summary, The power adapter for the MacPro Apple computer is good for up to 85 W of power, and the computer may not always require this much power. The power adapter is designed to handle the maximum plus a safety margin.
fisico30
Hello Forum,

I have a MacPro Apple computer. I just got a new power adapter rated 85 W.
Does it mean that the computer is always drawing 85 W of power does is the power delivered depend on how many programs are open, etc...?

thanks
fisico30

Computer science news on Phys.org
I see, thank you.

this one was given to me at the Apple store. I guess I was wondering if it continuosly have to draw the amount of power written on the adapter or it depends on the computer activities...

the key parts in a computer the cpu/memory, the disk and the screen with backlighting.

The disk probably draws the most power so constant disk access will drain your battery faster.

Next the lit up screen followed by cpu/memory.

Some cpus can change speeds depending on the processing requirements so a faster speed chews up more power, generates more heat and may cause a fan that also draws power to run.

The most power saving mode is to turn the laptop off and use a piece of paper and pencil. :-)

fisico30 said:
I see, thank you.

this one was given to me at the Apple store. I guess I was wondering if it continuosly have to draw the amount of power written on the adapter or it depends on the computer activities...
In general adapters are designed to handle the maximum plus a safety margin.

Ok thanks. I guess we found the answer: if the adapter is rated 85 W, and 1 KWh of energy costs around 15 cents, it does not mean that in 1 hour

85 x 1 hour ÷ 1000 x 10 cents per kWh = .850 cents ?

Ok that sounds like nothing, not even a cent? And we are saying that the computer may not even be operating in such a way to be always requiring 85 W, sometimes less...

They say power is expensive? Where is my mistake?

thanks

1. How do I know the power adapter output for my computer?

The power adapter output for your computer can usually be found on the label of the power adapter itself. It is typically listed in volts (V) and amps (A). You can also check your computer's manual or the manufacturer's website for this information.

2. Is it safe to use a power adapter with a different output than the original one?

No, it is not safe to use a power adapter with a different output than the original one. Using a power adapter with a higher output can cause damage to your computer, while using one with a lower output may not provide enough power to charge your computer.

3. Can I use a power adapter with a higher output to charge my computer faster?

No, using a power adapter with a higher output will not charge your computer faster. Your computer is designed to only take in a certain amount of power, so using a higher output adapter will not make a difference in charging speed.

4. What is the maximum power adapter output I can use for my computer?

The maximum power adapter output you can use for your computer is the one recommended by the manufacturer. Using a higher output adapter can potentially damage your computer, while using a lower output may not provide enough power for it to charge.

5. Can I use a power adapter with a different output for a different brand of computer?

It is not recommended to use a power adapter with a different output for a different brand of computer. Each brand and model of computer may have specific power requirements, and using a different output adapter can potentially damage your computer or prevent it from charging properly.