Need help building an IR receiver that will trigger a relay to turn a light on

In summary, the person is designing a game where an IR gun is used to turn on a light on an object until manually reset. They are seeking help with the electronics aspect and have been directed to pre-built IR receiver modules that can be purchased online.
Chadamis
I am designing a game where you would shoot an IR gun at an object that would turn a light on and stay on until manually reset. I don't know much about electronics and any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chadamis said:
I am designing a game where you would shoot an IR gun at an object that would turn a light on and stay on until manually reset. I don't know much about electronics and any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the PF.

I goodled IR Receiver Module, and got lots of hits. You can buy the modules pre-built if you like, along with their IR transmitter mates. Here is a Google Images hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...5l4961l0l5133l22l21l2l6l6l0l172l1325l8.5l13l0

1. How does an IR receiver work?

An IR receiver works by receiving infrared signals from a transmitter, such as a remote control. These signals are then decoded and converted into electrical signals that can trigger a specific action, such as turning on a relay to activate a light.

2. What components are needed to build an IR receiver?

To build an IR receiver, you will need an IR receiver module, an IR sensor, a microcontroller, a relay, and a power supply. You may also need resistors, capacitors, and other electronic components depending on the specific design of your receiver.

3. Can I use any type of relay with an IR receiver?

Yes, as long as the relay is compatible with the voltage and current requirements of the light you are trying to turn on. It is important to check the datasheet of your relay and make sure it can handle the power requirements of your light.

4. How do I code the microcontroller for the IR receiver?

The coding process will vary depending on the specific microcontroller and IR receiver components you are using. There are many online tutorials and resources available to help you with coding your IR receiver. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and test your code to ensure it is functioning correctly.

5. Can I use an IR receiver to control multiple lights?

Yes, you can use an IR receiver to trigger multiple relays, each connected to a different light. However, you will need to properly configure your coding and circuit design to ensure that the correct relay is triggered for each specific infrared signal received.