Calculate reaction in hyper static beam

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the reaction MA through calculating the deflection and moment at point B in a hyperstatic structure. After some initial confusion, the correct answer is determined to be \frac{wb^{2}}{8L^{2}}[2L^{2}-b^{2}].
PythagoreLove

Homework Statement

Calculate the reaction MA

http://alkaspace.com/is.php?i=134123&img=E-3.1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I have put the reaction By as an hyper static force. Then I found the deflection in B with the force By as a variable.

vb= [itex]\frac{w}{24EI}[/itex](3L4-4a3L+a4) - [itex]\frac{B_{y}L^{3}}{3EI}[/itex]

Then I know that vb=0 because it is on a reaction. With that I find that
By= [itex]\frac{w}{8L^{3}}[/itex][3L4-4a3L+a4]

Now I just have to calculate the moment with
Mb=(a+b/2)bw-LBy

My final answer is [itex]\frac{wb^{2}}{8L^{2}}[2L^{2}+6L^{4}-b^{2}][/itex]

In the book, the final answer is [itex]\frac{wb^{2}}{8L^{2}}[2L^{2}-b^{2}][/itex].

I only have a 6L4 that isn't supposed to be here. Please help.

PytLov

Physics news on Phys.org
If the answer in the book is "In the book, the final answer is wb28L2[2L2−b2].", what is the question, exactly?

Sorry, I should have added: If you put b=L, in the book answer, you get the wrong answer wL^2/8

The question is "what are the reactions" and I gave you the answer of the moment at point A. Maybe the book answer is wrong, it's a book from 1992. But I still don't know if I have the good answer, and I think that hyper static structure is really hard. If someone knows the good answer that would be really nice !

PytLov

Sorry again. If you put b=L then the book is correct. If you could show all your working or references to formulas, then maybe someone would see an algebraic error.

Well, I was writing my solution, and now I get the good answer... no idea what was my mistake. But thank you anyway.

PytLov

1. How do you determine the reactions in a hyperstatic beam?

To calculate the reactions in a hyperstatic beam, you will need to use the principles of statics. This involves summing the forces and moments acting on the beam and setting them equal to zero. Then, you can solve for the unknown reactions using algebraic equations.

2. What is a hyperstatic beam?

A hyperstatic beam is a structural element that is supported by more than two points, making it statically indeterminate. This means that the number of unknown reactions is greater than the number of available equations to solve for them.

3. What are the different types of reactions in a hyperstatic beam?

The different types of reactions in a hyperstatic beam include fixed support reactions, roller support reactions, and hinge support reactions. These reactions can be either vertical or horizontal, and may also include moment reactions.

4. How does the load distribution affect the reactions in a hyperstatic beam?

The load distribution on a hyperstatic beam can significantly impact the reactions at the supports. For example, a concentrated load in the middle of the beam will create a larger reaction at that point compared to a uniformly distributed load. It is essential to consider the load distribution when calculating reactions in a hyperstatic beam.

5. Can software programs be used to calculate reactions in a hyperstatic beam?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can assist in calculating reactions in a hyperstatic beam. These programs use numerical methods to solve the equations and provide accurate results. However, it is still essential to have a basic understanding of statics principles to verify the software's output.