Difference between electromagnetics and electromagnetism ?

In summary, there are books titled "engineering electromagnetics" and "electromagnetics with applications" but no specific page for electromagnetics on Wikipedia. However, there are pages for related concepts such as electrodynamics, electromagnetism, and electrostatics. Electromagnetism is the force itself, while electromagnetics is the application of this force to create devices like electromagnets. Electromagnetism refers to the underlying science, while electromagnetics focuses on its practical uses.
shpongle
I have come across books titled "engineering electromagnetics" and "electromagnetics with applications" but I could never find a page for electromagentics on Wikipedia. However, there are pages for electrodynamics/electromagnetism/electrostatics on Wikipedia.

Is there a difference? If so what is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know it's the same. I think electromagnetics is the "modern" word.

Thanks Gordianus

Electromagnetism is the name of the force itself. Electromagnetics is the name of the area that applies electromagnetism to produce different devices such as electromagnets.

Drakkith said:
Electromagnetism is the name of the force itself. Electromagnetics is the name of the area that applies electromagnetism to produce different devices such as electromagnets.

Thank you. It is much clearer now.

To expand on Drakkith's comment, I think Electromagnetism refers to the underlying science, and Electromagnetics more the application of the science.

chrisbaird said:
To expand on Drakkith's comment, I think Electromagnetism refers to the underlying science, and Electromagnetics more the application of the science.

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

1. What is the difference between electromagnetics and electromagnetism?

Electromagnetics refers to the study of the behavior of electromagnetic fields, while electromagnetism refers to the physical phenomenon of electricity and magnetism being interconnected.

2. How are electromagnetics and electromagnetism related?

Electromagnetics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of electromagnetic fields, which are created by the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. Electromagnetism is the physical phenomenon that explains how electric and magnetic fields are interconnected and how they produce each other.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetism and electromagnetics?

Electromagnetism and electromagnetics have a wide range of practical applications in modern technology, including powering electric motors, generating electricity, transmitting and receiving radio waves, and producing magnetic fields for use in medical imaging and particle accelerators.

4. How do electromagnetism and electromagnetics impact our daily lives?

Electromagnetism and electromagnetics play a crucial role in our daily lives, from powering our electronic devices to enabling communication through radio and television signals. They also play a significant role in various industries such as transportation, healthcare, and manufacturing.

5. What are some key differences between electromagnetism and electromagnetics?

The main difference between electromagnetism and electromagnetics is that electromagnetism is a physical phenomenon that describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, while electromagnetics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of these fields and their interactions with matter.