Exponent of matrix/Diagonalization of matrix with repeated eigenvalue

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of diagonalization and finding the matrix exponent of a given matrix. The speaker is struggling with finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix and performing Jordan decomposition. However, it is mentioned that not every matrix can be diagonalized and the given matrix is already in Jordan Normal form.
martizzle
Hello,

it's been a while since i did linear algebra. i need some help. I have this matrix:

1 1 0
0 1 0
0 0 0.

I know the eigenvalues are 1,1,0; and that the eigenvectors will be: (1,0,0), (0,0,0) and (0,0,1). But I cannot do the jordan decomposition on the matrix i.e. write it in the form: P M P^-1. Where P is the matrix made up of eigenvectors, M is a diagonal matrix containing the eigenvalues: 1,1,0.

My main interest however, is in finding the matrix exponent of
1-2i 1+3i 0
0 1-2i 0
0 0 0.

If I can diagonalize the first matrix, I should be able to use the same method to diagonalize/jordan decompose this matrix so that i can find the matrix exponent.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, you cannot find P-1 because, taking the 0 vector as a column, you are forcing the determinant to be 0. In order to "diagonalize" a matrix you need to find a non-zero eigenvector (some texts do not accept the 0 vector as an eigenvector at all).

The difficulty is that not every matrix is diagonalizable! In order that a matrix be diagonalizable, there must exist a "complete set" of eigenvalues. That is, a basis for the space consisting of eigenvectors. For a three by three matrix, there must be three independent eigenvectors and that is not true here.

What you can do, if you cannot diagonalize a matrix, is put it in "Jordan Normal" form. Here, the matrix you are given is already in Jordan Normal form!

1. What is the exponent of a matrix?

The exponent of a matrix is a mathematical operation that involves repeatedly multiplying a matrix by itself. It is represented by a superscript, such as A^n, where A is the matrix and n is the exponent. The result is a new matrix with the same dimensions as the original.

2. How is the exponent of a matrix calculated?

The exponent of a matrix can be calculated using the diagonalization method. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using them to construct a diagonal matrix. The exponent can then be easily calculated by raising each diagonal element to the desired power.

3. What is diagonalization of a matrix?

Diagonalization of a matrix refers to the process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix. This means that both matrices have the same eigenvalues, but the eigenvectors of the diagonal matrix are the standard basis vectors (1,0,0...), (0,1,0,...), etc. Diagonalization is useful for simplifying calculations involving matrices.

4. How do repeated eigenvalues affect the diagonalization of a matrix?

When a matrix has repeated eigenvalues, it is not possible to construct a diagonal matrix using the standard eigenvectors. In this case, generalized eigenvectors are used to construct a Jordan matrix, which is similar to the original matrix. This process is known as Jordan decomposition, and it is used to diagonalize matrices with repeated eigenvalues.

5. What are the applications of diagonalization of matrices with repeated eigenvalues?

Diagonalization of matrices with repeated eigenvalues is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It allows for simplification of calculations and can help in understanding the behavior of systems represented by matrices.