Exponential Growth and Logarithmic Growth

In summary, exponential growth refers to a function that looks like y ~ ex, while logarithmic growth is y ~ ln(x). They are related by the fact that y = ex is the same as x = ln(y). A derivative is, roughly, the rate of change of a function. 18% reflectance is perceptually equivalent to 50% of the brightness of 100% reflectance because our visual system's response to brightness is logarithmic.
austinv
I'm a very conceptual person, and I've been reading about exponential and logarithmic growth but don't fully have the kind of conceptual grasp on the two and how they differ that I'd like, so I"m curious:

What is the difference between exponential growth and logarithmic growth and what causes this difference?

Also, according to Wikipedia: "In mathematics, the exponential function is the function ex, where e is the number (approximately 2.718281828) such that the function ex is its own derivative." What does it actually mean for ex to be its own derivative? Does it mean that ex always equals e no matter what x is... I don't think so?

And one more related question: in photography, 18% reflectance (18% gray) is said to be perceptually equivalent to 50% of the brightness of 100% reflectance (full white) because our visual system's response to brightness is logarithmic. But my question is what is the math behind how 18% is an equal number of steps between black and white?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Exponential function is ex. It has the property that it is equal to its derivative, i.e. d(ex)/dx = ex.

Exponential growth means the growth function looks like y ~ ex. Logarithmic growth is y ~ ln(x). The are related by the fact that y = ex is the same as x = ln(y).

Photog question - I have no idea.

austinv said:
Also, according to Wikipedia: "In mathematics, the exponential function is the function ex, where e is the number (approximately 2.718281828) such that the function ex is its own derivative." What does it actually mean for ex to be its own derivative? Does it mean that ex always equals e no matter what x is... I don't think so?
Do you know what a derivative is? If not, it is, roughly the rate of change of a function. It can be shown that the rate of change of the function f(x)= ax is proportional to ax. "e" has the property that constant of proportionality is 1.

And one more related question: in photography, 18% reflectance (18% gray) is said to be perceptually equivalent to 50% of the brightness of 100% reflectance (full white) because our visual system's response to brightness is logarithmic. But my question is what is the math behind how 18% is an equal number of steps between black and white?
It's not math, it's physiology. Experimental evidense shows that f 18% of a light we had been looking at enters our eyes, we perceive it as "half as bright". While I'm no physiologist, I have read that the more light (or other impulse) strikes our optic nerves (or other nerves), the less they react to each increase in strength.

Thank you so much![/QUOTE]

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth in which the rate of increase is proportional to the current amount. This means that as the amount increases, so does the rate of growth, resulting in a rapid and continuously increasing growth pattern.

2. What is logarithmic growth?

Logarithmic growth is the opposite of exponential growth, where the rate of increase decreases as the amount increases. This results in a curve that initially increases quickly, but then levels off and approaches a maximum value.

3. What are some examples of exponential growth?

Examples of exponential growth can be seen in population growth, the spread of diseases, and compound interest in finance. In these cases, the growth rate is constantly increasing, leading to rapid growth over time.

4. How can we calculate exponential growth?

The formula for calculating exponential growth is: P(t) = P0 * ert, where P(t) is the final amount, P0 is the initial amount, e is the base of the natural logarithm, r is the growth rate, and t is the time period. This formula can be applied to any situation that exhibits exponential growth.

5. How is logarithmic growth different from linear growth?

Linear growth is a type of growth in which the amount increases by a constant amount over a given time period. Logarithmic growth, on the other hand, initially increases rapidly but eventually levels off and approaches a maximum value. This means that the rate of growth decreases over time, unlike linear growth where the rate of growth remains constant.