Physics Experiment Linear Regression Issue

It is also important to check for any errors in data collection or calculation that could be causing the discrepancy. In summary, the slope of the linear regression line in an electron diffraction experiment may give a value different from the individually calculated values, and this could be due to various factors such as the nature of the data or potential errors.
tsumi

Homework Statement

Hello, I have done a laboratorial experiment (electron diffraction) and I've been doing the analysis of the obtained data.

I have plotted the data obtained experimentally, and the slope of the obtained linear regression should give a certain value.

What's happening is that the slope of the linear regression gives a value inferior to any of the individually calculated values, is this normal? and this value is quite different from the theoretically expected one, while all the individual values are much closer to the expected one. This is my only question.

Thank you for your attention

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that the linear regression line does not accurately depict the data points, since it is designed to fit the data in a way that minimizes the sum of the squares of the vertical distances between the points and the regression line. It could be that the points are not well-suited for a linear regression, or that there is an underlying trend that is not being properly captured by the linear regression. Additionally, it is possible that the linear regression is giving an accurate representation of the data, but that the individual values are not. You may want to consider other forms of analysis, such as non-linear regression or a logarithmic fit.

What is linear regression in a physics experiment?

Linear regression is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between two or more variables in a linear form. In a physics experiment, it is used to determine how one variable (the dependent variable) is affected by changes in another variable (the independent variable).

Why is linear regression important in physics experiments?

Linear regression is important in physics experiments because it allows researchers to quantitatively analyze the relationship between variables and make predictions. This can help in understanding the underlying principles and laws of physics.

What are the steps involved in performing a linear regression in a physics experiment?

The steps involved in performing a linear regression in a physics experiment include: selecting the appropriate variables, collecting data, plotting the data on a scatter plot, determining the equation of the regression line, and interpreting the results.

What are some common issues that may arise in a physics experiment when using linear regression?

Some common issues that may arise when using linear regression in a physics experiment include outliers in the data, non-linear relationships between variables, and lack of a significant correlation between variables.

How can I ensure the accuracy of my linear regression results in a physics experiment?

To ensure the accuracy of linear regression results in a physics experiment, it is important to carefully select the variables and collect accurate and precise data. It is also important to check for assumptions and potential sources of error, and to validate the results through repeated experiments or by using alternative methods of analysis.