Theoretical Neuroscience - Which Undergrad Major?

In summary, the student is considering transferring to Columbia's engineering program and is looking for advice on what undergraduate preparation would be best for working in this field.
tsangha
Hello.

I'm currently a junior undergraduate at a liberal arts school. Next year I'm transferring to Columbia's engineering program through a wonderful Combined Plan Program. If anyone knows anything about this, I would love some more information than just what I could find on their website. By this program, I get a BA from my arts school, and a BS from Columbia.

For the BS, I have to decide on a major within their engineering field. The two top choices for me are Applied Mathematics and Computer Science. As for my future career goals, I'm hoping to enroll in an MD-PhD program somewhere in the country, too early to say where. For the PhD half of this program, I am quite certain that I would like to do Theoretical Neuroscience -- which is already a very interdisciplinary field. My question is what kind of undergraduate preparation would be best for work in this field? I'm interested in memory, attention, decision-making, and learning from a complex adaptive networks perspective.

The way it seems to me at the moment, I could do applied mathematics and gain some foundations in creating models etc, and Columbia offers a remarkable amount of freedom in choosing what courses/specialties to take in the field - meaning I could begin working already on some biologically-inspired models. If I do CompSci, I would take artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, etc. but do only limited work on biologically-relevant models of cognition.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think would be the best undergraduate major for this field? I'm sure there is a lot to consider and I would greatly appreciate your knowledge and experience!

I'm really hoping to get some advice here, as I'm feeling a bit lost on how to choose between these two fields. I'm looking for advice that is not necessarily based on what courses/classes I should take, but more what kind of research and coursework I should focus on during my undergraduate years. Any advice would be most appreciated!

1. What is theoretical neuroscience?

Theoretical neuroscience is a branch of neuroscience that uses mathematical and computational models to understand the function and behavior of the brain. It combines principles from biology, physics, and mathematics to study the neural processes underlying behavior and cognition.

2. What is the importance of studying theoretical neuroscience?

Studying theoretical neuroscience allows us to gain a deeper understanding of how the brain works and how it gives rise to behavior and cognition. It also allows us to make predictions and test hypotheses about brain function, which can have practical applications in fields such as medicine, artificial intelligence, and robotics.

3. What are the prerequisites for majoring in theoretical neuroscience?

Most undergraduate programs in theoretical neuroscience require a strong foundation in biology, mathematics, and physics. Some programs may also require coursework in computer science or programming. It is important to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in theoretical neuroscience?

Graduates with a degree in theoretical neuroscience can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, pharmaceutical companies, and government agencies. They may also work in fields such as artificial intelligence, data science, and healthcare.

5. Can I major in theoretical neuroscience if I have a different undergraduate background?

Yes, many undergraduate programs in theoretical neuroscience welcome students from diverse backgrounds. However, you may need to take additional coursework to meet the prerequisites for the program. It is also important to have a strong interest in both neuroscience and theoretical/mathematical approaches to studying it.