Does the discovery of the Higgs Boson disprove String Theory?

In summary, the Higgs boson has been discovered as the final piece of the Standard Model of particle physics, which consists of 12 indivisible particles and 4 fundamental forces. However, this does not disprove or prove string theory, which aims to unify all the forces and particles in an underlying theory. String theory is often referred to as a "theory of everything" but is not yet complete. It is not in conflict with the standard model, but rather acts as a deeper explanation for it. Both theories have different aims and purposes.
CYP450
From what I understand, the Higgs Boson was the last missing piece of the Standard Model (12 indivisible particles, 4 forces). Now that the Standard Model is complete, has String Theory been disproved? Is there a conflict between the Standard Model and String Theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not expert in the standard model of particle physics or extensions to it, but my understanding is that string theory is meant to act as an *underlying* theory for the standard model of particle physics i.e. one that is more fundamental and explains many of the "why" questions that the standard model raises. For instance, in the standard model we are stuck with four fundamental forces of nature, whereas string theory *unifies* these forces (explains them all in terms of a single underlying theoretical framework). In particular, one of those fundamental forces, gravity (which is explained in terms of general relativity) is unified with the other three, which are explained in terms of quantum mechanics. General relativity and quantum mechanics *are* in conflict in many ways, and one of the goals of string theory is to be a "quantum theory of gravity" that would resolve these conflicts. The standard model of particle physics also contains a whole zoo of elementary particles of various types. Why is there this particular number of particles? Why do they have the particular masses that they do? With the standard model, the answer is just, " because that's the way nature is." But string theory attempts to explain all of these by introducing the idea that all elementary particles are actually made up of a bunch of tiny vibrating strings. So, we have a theory that's trying to unify all the fundamental forces and all the fundamental particles, to explain them all in terms of an underlying phenomenon. For this reason, string theory is often referred to as an attempt at a "theory of everything" (TOE). We don't actually have a complete TOE yet though. Caveat: I can't say much more about this, because I know next to nothing about the actual theory. I'm neither a proponent nor an opponent of string theory. I don't have enough information to hold an informed opinion about it either way.

So, to answer your question, no, the discovery of the Higgs boson does not disprove string theory (but it does not prove it either). It really has nothing to do with it as far as I know. Furthermore, the standard model of particle physics is not in conflict with string theory. The latter is intended to act as a deeper and more fundamental explanation of the former.

Last edited:
Concur with Cepheid - with similar caveat of not being an expert.

String theory underlies standard model.

1. What is the Higgs Boson and how does it relate to String Theory?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s as part of the Higgs mechanism, which explains how particles gain mass. String Theory, on the other hand, attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature by postulating that all particles are actually tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies. The discovery of the Higgs Boson supports the Higgs mechanism, but does not necessarily disprove String Theory.

2. Can the existence of the Higgs Boson be used to disprove String Theory?

No, the discovery of the Higgs Boson does not disprove String Theory. While the Higgs mechanism is a key component of the Standard Model of particle physics, String Theory is still a valid and widely studied theory. In fact, many scientists believe that String Theory and the Higgs mechanism can coexist and complement each other.

3. Has the discovery of the Higgs Boson led to any changes in the understanding of String Theory?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson has not led to any significant changes in the understanding of String Theory. In fact, the Higgs mechanism was already incorporated into the mathematical framework of String Theory before the Higgs Boson was discovered.

4. Are there any other experiments or discoveries that could potentially disprove String Theory?

Currently, there are no experiments or discoveries that have definitively disproven String Theory. However, there are ongoing experiments and research efforts that aim to test the predictions of String Theory, such as the search for supersymmetric particles at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. How does the scientific community view the relationship between the Higgs Boson and String Theory?

The scientific community does not view the Higgs Boson as a threat to String Theory. While there may be debates and discussions about the validity and limitations of String Theory, the discovery of the Higgs Boson has not significantly impacted the overall view of String Theory within the scientific community.