How does the proof of Sard's theorem utilize vector spaces and planes?

In summary, the conversation discusses a part of the proof of Sard's theorem and raises questions about the use of a plane V+f(x) in the proof. The questions include clarifying the definition of V+f(x) and its relationship to the point f(x), as well as understanding the role of V as an (n-1)-dimensional subspace. The expert summary highlights the need for more context in order to fully answer these questions.
brydustin
There is a part in the proof of sard's theorem where we restrict our discussion to a point x such that Df(x)=0, and then declare that f ' (x) is a proper (n-1) subspace (f is n-dim). What I don't understand is, the argument then goes by considering any two points in a sub-rectangle around this point and stating that all such points "lie within ε√n (l/N) of the (n-1)-plane V+f(x)." Where √n (l/N) is the length of the longest "diagonal" of our rectangles used in the proof and epsilon pops up from a "continuity" argument. Anyway, my question is about the V+f(x) plane.

I don't really see how its a plane. I believe its "centered" around f(x),... is this correct?

Also, it says that {Df(x)(y-x): y in rectangle} lies in an (n-1)-dim subspace V of R^n. Is it saying that {Df(x)(y-x)} constitutes all of V ? or just that it is locally approximated by this vector space... I feel like V is a plane tangent to this point, if that's the case then this all makes sense, but I'm not really sure... All help appreciated. Are there any other suggestions on how I can "see" this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which proof of Sard's theorem? Without being able to look at these things in context, it's very difficult to answer your questions.

You say that V is an (n-1)-dimensional subspace of R^n, so I guess that's the sense in which V+f(x) is an (affine hyper-) plane. I don't know that "centered" is the right way to say it, but V+f(x) does contain f(x) (because V, being a subspace, contains zero).

What is Sard's theorem?

Sard's theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a smooth map between two smooth manifolds, the set of critical values has measure zero in the target manifold.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by scalars (usually numbers) to form new vectors. It follows certain axioms such as associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

What is the importance of Sard's theorem?

Sard's theorem is important in differential geometry and topology as it provides a criterion for determining when a map is "surjective" or "essentially surjective". It also has applications in the study of smooth manifolds and smooth functions.

What are the assumptions for Sard's theorem?

The assumptions for Sard's theorem are that the map is smooth and the manifolds involved are smooth manifolds. Additionally, the map must be between manifolds of equal dimension.

How is Sard's theorem used in practical applications?

Sard's theorem is used in practical applications such as image processing, where it can be used to determine if an image can be approximated by a lower-dimensional image. It also has applications in optimization and control theory.